Upgrade from iPod Touch?
Sep 18, 2011 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

DancetoExpress

Head-Fier
As I've begun attempting to delve more into the audiophile world, one of the first things I did was go back and re-download higher bitrate versions for all my songs (320kbps). However, my iPod Touch only has 8GB, so it's pretty much filled up by now.

What are some of your recommendations for a possible upgrade? What I've done so far is switch out songs on my iPOd, though I can see this becoming a problem in the future. I have a T-Mobile G2 (HTC Desire I think), so I could always spend some money on a 32GB microSD card. And today while cleaning out my desk, I found my old Creative Zen: Vision M (30GB), so that seems to be the solution for now. Although the bulkiness is slightly annoying LOL.

So what course of action should I take? Buy a higher capacity microSD? Stick with the switching out of songs? Go with using the bulky Zen? Or something completely different?

Edit: Well looks like using the Zen is out of the question, as my parents wanted to use it. I guess the gameplan for now is to switch out songs for now and just save up for an iPod Classic (160GB), unless anyone else has alternative suggestions.

Sep 20, 2011 at 10:48 PM Post #3 of 16
The ipod classic is a fine choice. But please go whole hog and burn your own cds as lossless files.
Then you have options for getting even better sound out of the ipod..iStreamer, Fostex HP-P1, Pure, CLAS...the world is your oyster.

Sep 20, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #4 of 16

Quote:
The ipod classic is a fine choice. But please go whole hog and burn your own cds as lossless files.
Then you have options for getting even better sound out of the ipod..iStreamer, Fostex HP-P1, Pure, CLAS...the world is your oyster.

Haha yeah, I'd go lossless if I had the room :\. I have no idea what iStreamer and the rest of what you said is, but I'll look them up.

Sep 23, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #5 of 16
If you want to go seriously high end, consider a hifiman player. Nice, smooth, warm sound with plenty of detail (some treble roll off though). It stores through internal memory plus sd cards.

Sep 23, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #6 of 16
The hifiman is a huge brick, and it has horrid battery life and is buggy as hell. Get a Cowon player, such as the Cowon S9 (it has a micro sd card slot), or the HDD containing Cowon X7. Both have excellent battery life (60hrs and up), and amazing sq and sound enhancements.

Also, check out the low cost SanDisk clip+ or the new clipzip - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

Sep 23, 2011 at 3:45 PM Post #7 of 16
I have over 250 cd's on my 160G ipod with over 50 G's to spare.  All lossless.  There's alot of room on the ipod classic.  That and a good portable amp or iem's without an amp is good.  That's what I've been doing but now I've just upgraded to the Fostex HP-P1 dac/amp.  Will be coming in a few days from Moon audio.

Sep 24, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #8 of 16

Quote:
The hifiman is a huge brick, and it has horrid battery life and is buggy as hell. Get a Cowon player, such as the Cowon S9 (it has a micro sd card slot), or the HDD containing Cowon X7. Both have excellent battery life (60hrs and up), and amazing sq and sound enhancements.

Also, check out the low cost SanDisk clip+ or the new clipzip - you'll be pleasantly surprised.

I just had to correct you on this statement as it's misleading the OP. The Cowon S9 does NOT have a micro SD card slot. On the other hand, the fine Cowon J3 DOES in fact have this feature.

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:27 AM Post #9 of 16
^^ Haha, the hifiman 601 is kinda chunky but it sounds pretty good and is still of a decent size unlike the 801.

Nov 5, 2011 at 3:35 PM Post #11 of 16
The new iPod Classic has very disappointing sound quality. I'd go with an iPod Video 5.5g which you can Rockbox and customize or the Cowon X7.

Nov 5, 2011 at 6:36 PM Post #14 of 16
There are many that would disagree with you including Vinnie over at red wine audio.Only way to get better sound out of a 5.5 is to imod it.

Quote:
The new iPod Classic has very disappointing sound quality. I'd go with an iPod Video 5.5g which you can Rockbox and customize or the Cowon X7.

Nov 11, 2011 at 12:45 PM Post #15 of 16

Quote:

The Cowon S9 has no card slot, maybe your thinking of the Cowon J3.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back