Upgrade From HD600/W5000 What to buy?
Mar 18, 2015 at 5:06 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

LarryRup

New Head-Fier
Can use some help.  I need a pair

Own the above two headphones.  I have really liked the Sens HD600. Mine at least 15 years old. The ear pads need replacing and while this could be argued, I deserve a new pair of Headphones!  

Also own the ATW5000 (a woody).  I like them but do not love them.  Fit is way strange.  Excellent base.  They are very good, but I do prefer and gravitate to the  600's.  I bought the 5000's as they reviewed well and were closed. They are closed to sound leaving the Phones and entering the room.  They are as open as the 600's for sound in the room entering the phones.  Typical evening at home:  (me) could you lower the TV volume? (Her) It's not loud.  (me) I going to lower the volume. (her)  I can't hear it (me) it's still too loud (her) DON"'T YOU TOUCH THAT VOLUME!    You see what I'm up against.  

I have two AMPs.  The original Ear MAX and an XCAN v8. I like both. I have about $1,000 to spend (give or take) on the headphones.

I've considered the HD650.  suspect it's a safe choice and I'd be done.  I really considered the HD700, played with the idea of a used HD800.  Now I'm intrigued with the Audeze EL8 (closed) or maybe an affordable LCD series (used or new).  I quickly considered HIMAN but now turned off them. I have not listened to any these and while I know I should, it is near impossible without great inconvenience.

Frustrated as the money is waiting for me to buy.  I used to think I was decisive and impulsive!  
What to do?  What to buy?

Regards,

Larry

Mar 18, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #2 of 12
Buying another open headphone doesn't seem like the right solution. I would probably be looking at the Audeze EL-8 closed, Fostex TH500, Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog or Mad Dog, or the Shure SRH1540

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:30 PM Post #3 of 12
All you need to do is upgrade your cables. I have a pair of HD 600 and upgraded to a E-Series from Stefan Audio Art and you will be very suprised. The stock cables are not very good at all. Stefan Audio Art use to be a sound engineer Sensheiser.

Mar 18, 2015 at 10:37 PM Post #4 of 12
May I also say The HD 650 is a darker sounding headphone than the 600. If you like soundstage where the music is coming from the middle and not the sides stay with open air, There are many variables that go into each and everyone's system that dictate what you will hear.

Mar 19, 2015 at 1:59 AM Post #5 of 12
I wouldn't get the HD650.  Just my opinion but I started with the HD600 and eventually got the HD650 and agree, that it is darker than the HD600 and that bothered me too much for the HD650 to get much head time on.

W5000 is a fine headphone, but I agree, it's just kinda funky sometimes in what it does well and doesn't do well.  I would also gravitate towards the HD600 if I were to have owned both at the same time.  And while I enjoy and had a ton of respect for the HD600, it certainly isn't my favorite can.

I can't comment too much on the newer cans you reference.  I've only spent short periods of time with Audeze (but have liked what I've heard).  If I were in your shoes I'd prob save up for a used HD800.  But I just like a fast detailed sound.  It will give you quite a different experience from the HD600 or W5000 and fills out the variety of sound approaches quite well.

Best,

-Jason

Mar 19, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #6 of 12
  Typical evening at home:  (me) could you lower the TV volume? (Her) It's not loud.  (me) I going to lower the volume. (her)  I can't hear it (me) it's still too loud (her) DON"'T YOU TOUCH THAT VOLUME!    You see what I'm up against.  

Isn't there another room where you can set up your system (along with a comfortable chair) away from where the TV is? I'd rather just move there, it will likely cost less if not free.

Or have you thought about custom IEMs? Get that and a relatively cheap but capable portable player, like Fiio X1 and X3II, and use that for when you have to compromise. 

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:35 AM Post #7 of 12
Sure the HD 800 is a great headphone but very exspensive over $1200 or more. He already has a 600 why not spend $300 on a cable. Spending fout times the amount for the HD 800 is not going to sound 4times better. You would have $900 left over to get a very nice oppo player. Just my opinion. I do not know what is in the rest of his system so I can not say.

Raymond

Mar 19, 2015 at 4:52 AM Post #8 of 12
My vote is for a closed headphone, which would make both you and your spouse happy.  I had a Mr. Speakers Mad Dog, which I loved, and had it upgraded to the Alpha Dog.  This is a fantastic headphone.  Apparently there are variations between different units but mine is what I would say sounds realistic, as if you're listening to a set of speakers.  Mine don't have the treble brightness that others have mentioned, which I find a plus.  The Mad Dog is also an excellent choice.  To compare them, I would say the Alpha Dog is a clear step up.  The bass is more accurate, and extends further (on speaker amps it sounds like an LCD 2.2 without the treble spike).  The mids are still the standout, as with the Mad Dog, but are articulated more accurately.  The treble on my pair is smooth as can be.  For reference, my HE-6 w mods still have some grain in the treble.  Imaging is excellent with the Alpha Dogs.  Honestly up their with the best.  The only issue is the very small soundstage.  This is most noticeable in video games where accurate audio cues are a must.  Overall, the Alpha Dogs are an outstanding headphone, and even exceptional as a closed headphone.  

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:59 AM Post #10 of 12
There is, but I bring my music up from the basement from a server, to a HTPC, out the USB to a Bi-Frost DAC.  I could either run a LAN cable and move around the Schit around, but that's inconvenient.  When forced to listen away from the Schitt, I stream to an IPAD or Phone.  Acceptable, but not quite the same experience.

Regards,

Larry

Mar 20, 2015 at 12:39 PM Post #11 of 12
  There is, but I bring my music up from the basement from a server, to a HTPC, out the USB to a Bi-Frost DAC.  I could either run a LAN cable and move around the Schit around, but that's inconvenient.  When forced to listen away from the Schitt, I stream to an IPAD or Phone.  Acceptable, but not quite the same experience.

Regards,

Larry

You won't "move around the Schiit around," you just move it once. Set up another HTPC, or get a WLAN music server like the Marantz NA7004, which will be a more straightforward device (remote will be through a tablet or smartphone app, so navigating the massive HDD content won't be any different), in another room and move your Schiit there.

IMHO, just accept that you can't listen in the same room where your wife will be watching TV. Better that you two are apart for some time while doing your own thing rather than cling to each other and end up annoying each other over the TV volume, then at some point you'll just move it anyway out of sheer annoyance over her nagging or she'll want time apart because she keeps compromising for you, which is worse.

If you can get access through a local university library, I suggest you read this journal article: http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1741-3737.2002.00433.x/abstract

Mar 20, 2015 at 8:59 PM Post #12 of 12
Sounds like a closed can is what is needed here and one that has good isolation. If you want to get something at a high end level, the EL-8 closed is worth keeping a tab on. Otherwise the Alpha Dog or Alpha prime seems like they would suit you well if you are into a more neutral approach. The isolation is a lot better than the AT woodies, I know I own the W1000X and many other closed cans. The ZMF blackwood and Vibro might be worth looking into, The Vibro is midrange oriented, and doesn't really have a weakness in any particular area except the upper bass where there is a small dip. Very good for the price.

Quote:
Buying another open headphone doesn't seem like the right solution. I would probably be looking at the Audeze EL-8 closed, Fostex TH500, Mr. Speakers Alpha Dog or Mad Dog, or the Shure SRH1540

The TH500RP are not closed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back