Upgrade from HD598SE? $4-500 USD
Jan 16, 2021 at 11:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

iball

New Head-Fier
I was recently gifted a magni 3 headphone amp. Prior to this, I usually listen to stuff on my computer through a pair of Dayton speakers. I own the HD598s but I don't use it much except when I listen to records (usually speakers). I plugged my headphones in and I experienced a world of difference. I realized I been missing out on a lot of subtle stuff. I don't know really anything about audio and the Senns I have are the most expensive piece of audio equipment I own. I am interested in getting an upgrade but I also don't really know what to look for or what the experience will be like.

Music: I have a pretty wide taste. I usually stick around Funk/Soul/Hip Hop stuff but I also listen to a lot of punk and more indie pop stuff.

Other: I listen to A LOT of youtube, educational channels and video game let's plays. I also do play some video games, mostly League of Legends but that is a very low concern.

Note: No clue if this matters, but I do have some High Frequency hearing loss.

I have been looking at the HD660s and DT1990s. I have also considered the 6xx but I do not know if they're enough of an upgrade.

I called my local audio shop and they do a bunch of headphones that I plan on trying out this weekend, some of the ones they mentioned over the phone:

- HD660s (I'm excited to hear them)
- Beyerdynamic T5P (They say its on sale for 700 which I could swing if it was worth it but thats a bit of a stretch)
- Bower and wilkins p9s
- Sony MDRZ7
- Grado sr325e

I've never demoed audio stuff before, what should I be prepared for or listen out for? Would any of these headphones be worth considering? Any other tips?

Jan 16, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2 of 3
The Soundmagic HP200 open headphones, a more fiesta sound, over the HD598.

Jan 16, 2021 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 3
When demoing headphones, try to do this:

Bring in your Magni 3 amp and ask if there is a place to set the amp up and use them during demos.

Bring your own music, whether it be CD, Vinyl, or from your own smartphone.

Since you already have a HD598 and know what to expect from open-backs, try out a closed back (prob T5p is best) for at least 2 songs or 10 minutes (whichever comes first) and see if you prefer the closed-back sound (usually more sound details at the price of less airiness and instrument separation qualities). For comparison, try out an open-back (prob HD660S is best) and do the same. Whichever you prefer, continue with other closed/open-back models.

Bring extra RCA-to-RCA and/or 3.5mm-to-RCA cables, just in case if they don’t have any for demo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back