Upgrade from HD598 up to 250$
Oct 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Metsuki

100+ Head-Fier
Now, I've had the 598's for 2 years and, while it was definately not a bad choice for my first full sized headphones, I feel that I can find something that suits my tastes a little better.

What I what in comparison to the 598:
More intimate sound/less laid-back sound.
Less muddyness/more airness
Better detail
Better speed
Less bass.
A brighter sound signature.
Clear sound.
Less smoothness

There is one point that I completely disagree with most people in here: i do not feel that they lack bass in any way, in fact they have a bit more than what I'd like.
I've noticed that the bass increases quite a bit when using with my Xonar DX, when connected to onboard sound or my ClipZip, I do feel that it does lack bass.

Perhaps all I need is sidegrade.
Judging from my IEM choices, I seem to prefer the vocals a bit forward.

Suggestions?

PS: For reference, my favourite IEM are the Hippo Shroom EB and Hifiman RE-400

Oct 11, 2013 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 10
  Now, I've had the 598's for 2 years and, while it was definately not a bad choice for my first full sized headphones, I feel that I can find something that suits my tastes a little better.
What I what in comparison to the 598:
More intimate sound/less laid-back sound.
Less muddyness/more airness
Better detail
Better speed
Less bass.
A brighter sound signature.
Clear sound.
Less smoothness
There is one point that I completely disagree with most people in here: i do not feel that they lack bass in any way, in fact they have a bit more than what I'd like.
I've noticed that the bass increases quite a bit when using with my Xonar DX, when connected to on-board sound or my Clip Zip, I do feel that it does lack bass.
Perhaps all I need is sidegrade.
Judging from my IEM choices, I seem to prefer the vocals a bit forward.
PS: For reference, my favourite IEM are the Hippo Shroom EB and Hifiman RE-400

The Xonar DX output jack has a high impedance (100-Ohm) which can cause a bloated bass (louder, cruder, less detail), so if you added a headphone amplifier (Magni, $99), it would improve any headphone connected to your audio (computer/DX) setup.

You could try the Magni, see if it improve the audio quality of the HD598, more to your liking.
If not you can sell off the HD598, use the cash towards some other headphone, AKG Q701?

Is this computer audio setup for music? gaming? movies?

Oct 11, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #3 of 10
I was actually looking for an amp to use with the xbox 360, I could kill two birds with one stone, though I would use it mostly with my PC for music.

Either that, a new sound card, or other  headphones.

Which would you personally choose?

Oct 11, 2013 at 7:01 PM Post #4 of 10
  I was actually looking for an amp to use with the xBox 360, I could kill two birds with one stone, though I would use it mostly with my PC for music.
Either that, a new sound card, or other  headphones.
Which would you personally choose?

With a gaming console (Xbox) really best to use the Astro mix-amp (optical), not sure what other external "gaming" DAC/amps work with the Xbox.

One option is to get a used A/V receiver (HDMI inputs), connect the gaming console (xBox) and the PC graphics card to the receiver using HDMI, plug headphones into receiver's headphone jack.
Yamaha receivers come with Silent Cinema, Yamaha's own headphone surround sound technology.
Check your local Craigslist for a used Yamaha receiver.

Oct 12, 2013 at 12:52 AM Post #6 of 10
  Wait, is there any reason why I wouldn't be able to use the Magni with a console?

Sorry, I have absolutely zero experience with amps.

I believe it is possible, with the right adapters(?), but it will on be in 2-channel stereo audio.

Oct 13, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 10
I believe that you can first run the signal through the Mixamp, and then through a amplifier as well without distorting the 5.1 Dolby Signal as well, not entirely sure though

Oct 14, 2013 at 5:26 AM Post #10 of 10
Your not so happy experience with HD598 is due to output impedience of your Asus sound card. I have Xonar U3 and same here when I am using without Magni.

If you buy amp you will not need another headphone. If not magni other options are: Fiio E17, Objective 2 

Another headphones you can consider: AKG K612 pro, Q701
                                                          Audio-Technica AD900X
                                                          Beyerdinamic DT880 pro 250 ohm
                                                          Sony MDR-MA900, I had them (slightly loosy bass but otherwise very good, not as ,,veiled'' as Senns, best bang for buck, not as wide soundstage as HD598)

All these headphones have their own flaws, and different sound signature, and don't suggest ,,better'' performance, If you want upgrade go for HD600

cheers    

Users who are viewing this thread

Back