Upgrade from HD598 for more immersive gaming
Jan 31, 2018 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Korvus

New Head-Fier
Hello,
Currently i'm using the hd598 for gaming with the gsx 1000 amp from sennheiser ( mainly for the 7.1 surround). I really like these cans for music ( vinyl records) but not so much for gaming. I don't know how to explain, but for gaming i find them a little bit boring and not immersives at all... maybe lack of basses?
So i decided to upgrade these headphones with something more suited for gaming (for my tastes).
I'm not experienced in hifi headphones, so i need your help to chose a new headphones that suits my needs.

I'm looking for:
  • headphones only for gaming ( i still use the hd598 for music)
  • I play rpg and fps games( witcher 3, skirym, bf1)
  • Excellent surround ( with gsx1000)
  • I want something capable of immerse me when i'm playing, i hope you untersand what i mean...( great basses for explosions, great spatial sound,...)

So far i have found theses:
  • Hifiman HE400s/i
  • DT990 pro
  • Hd600/650
These are an upgrade from my hd598? They are worth it? Can you please explain me wich one are the better for me? I know that the sound is something personal but can you give me some pros and cons?
Do you know other headphones that sound great for gaming?

Thank you!!!!

Ps: sorry for my bad english and thank you again!

Jan 31, 2018 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 2
The HD600/650 are more intimate in their soundstages and I don't think they are probably going to be your best bet therefore. Not ideal for RPG or FPS. The HiFiMEN are both good for music and have reasonable sized stages but do not have tons of bass either one. That brings us to the DT990. It has good bass reproduction as well as a fairly generous stage with good imaging. Treble is a wee bit sparkly. Personally, I think this may be your best bet. The only kicker is, if you are going to get the DT990 Pro 250 ohm version, you are probably going to want another amp to pull more detail and bass from the headphone. I have read about your amp and it will drive the DT990 Pto 250, but it likely won't optimize bass and detail and dynamics for you. So, personally, given your interests, I would recommend that you add an amp if you go with the DT990 Pro (or the HE400l or either of the Senns--they all need power).
The AKGs are another option but they are all a tad light in bass in my opinion. They image spectacularly and have gigantic stages, but the bass just isn't there. I think you will be disappointed. Some thoughts.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back