Upgrade from HD558's
Jan 19, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #16 of 29
Hey Fuzzie

I've owed the 558's for just over 18 months, and enjoy the same music genres as yourself. I upgraded to 650's, but kept my 558's because they're easy to drive and I find them a bit more revealing without being fatiguing. (I may eventually find with a good amp, the 650's will totally replace them, but doubt it...)

Anyway, I bought a pair of K702's this week and I'm hoping they will be keepers as well. From what I've read, I think the 701's would also be great...

Good luck!

Jan 19, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #17 of 29
I think I will try and get a Q701 (Open-Box Amazon Warehouse ~$160) and a Magni.

Tell me how you like the K702's!

Jan 22, 2014 at 4:40 PM Post #18 of 29
Hey,

My family's old TV messed up and we now have a reciever; will this serve as a good source for the Q701's (or HD600s?)

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Home/AV-Receivers/Pioneer+Receivers/VSX-D608

If so, how would I go plugging this in? 

Jan 23, 2014 at 5:46 PM Post #19 of 29
Bump

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:22 PM Post #20 of 29
Bump

Jan 24, 2014 at 5:33 PM Post #21 of 29
I think the HD600 is right up your alley. You might consider getting the FiiO E12 amp. It has plenty of drive capability, a little future proof. It has an interesting bass boost switch that might come in handy. I have both items and they work good together. A Schiit Magni would probably work well, I have an Asgard 2 which is probably over budget.
There's a reason these cans have been so popular for so long with audiophiles and Sennheiser just can't discontinue them. They were considering this, I spoke with someone in their marketing department and he said they just couldn't do that because too many people want them. I suspect between the demand and that the R&D and setup costs were paid off long ago, keeping this in the product line is a no brainer for them.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #22 of 29
  According to specs;

HD558
  1. Impedance @ 1kHz: 50 Ohms
  2. Sensitivity: 112dB

Q701

1. Impedance @ 1kHz: 62 Ohms
  2. Sensitivity: 105 dB

My Xonar DG on the max option for amping using my 558's, I listen to music at volume level 3-10. 

OK, so what does this tell you?

1. Impedance is not a factor, they're both close enough that differences don't matter.
2. Sensitivity difference is 7dB.  3dB represents a doubling in power.  6dB is 4X.  A 7dB difference is even more than that.

Therefore, all things being equal when you were satisfied with the HD558's - the Q701 needs an amp.

That might seem to remove the Q701 from the running.  You have to ask yourself (or others) ... is the Q701 worth the extra trouble?  I think it is.  It's a world-class headphone if it's powered by the right amp.

Jan 24, 2014 at 9:29 PM Post #23 of 29

1. Impedance is not a factor, they're both close enough that differences don't matter.
2. Sensitivity difference is 7dB.  3dB represents a doubling in power.  6dB is 4X.  A 7dB difference is even more than that.

Therefore, all things being equal when you were satisfied with the HD558's - the Q701 needs an amp.

That might seem to remove the Q701 from the running.  You have to ask yourself (or others) ... is the Q701 worth the extra trouble?  I think it is.  It's a world-class headphone if it's powered by the right amp.

The figures for the HD558's are 112 dB at 1V, not mW. in that case going to 2V adds 6 dB. I don't know what the Q701 rating but you have to go back to the drawing board.

Jan 25, 2014 at 1:03 PM Post #24 of 29

Thanks for explaining. No I wouldn't mind getting an amp it's just more money. I should be able to save up for the Q701, then the amp about a month later since I will probably be selling my MDR-V6's. I do have a receiver to power it for the time being. I think I'll end up getting a HD600 in the future, but that's when I have a job, I'm a junior in high school trying to finish my volunteer hours & getting ready for the SAT. 

Feb 23, 2014 at 10:15 AM Post #25 of 29
Decided to get the Q701, it was on sale at Amazon Warehouse deals for $123. Decided it wasn't worth paying $300+amp on HD600, just to have another headphone with the Sennheiser Veil. They're coming in tomorrow. 

I will end up getting a Magni in the future if I'm not satisfied with the sound from my receiver. 

Aug 1, 2014 at 9:37 AM Post #26 of 29
  Decided to get the Q701, it was on sale at Amazon Warehouse deals for $123. Decided it wasn't worth paying $300+amp on HD600, just to have another headphone with the Sennheiser Veil. They're coming in tomorrow. 

I will end up getting a Magni in the future if I'm not satisfied with the sound from my receiver. 

That is a good choice
beerchug.gif
while HD600 have better tonal balance Q701 have tighter bass and more resolution all over the spectrum. when EQ ed Q701 provides more hi-resolution sound. 
I recommend O2 over Magni I had both, Magni has somewhat blurry bass.

cheers

Aug 1, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #27 of 29

That is a good choice
beerchug.gif
while HD600 have better tonal balance Q701 have tighter bass and more resolution all over the spectrum. when EQ ed Q701 provides more hi-resolution sound. 
I recommend O2 over Magni I had both, Magni has somewhat blurry bass.

cheers

This is a somewhat old thread, but since then, I've obtained an HD650 and my Schiit Asgard & Modi are coming soon.

Aug 1, 2014 at 12:05 PM Post #28 of 29

This is a somewhat old thread, but since then, I've obtained an HD650 and my Schiit Asgard & Modi are coming soon.

I guess that you are no longer concerned with the "Sennheiser Veil."

Aug 1, 2014 at 1:00 PM Post #29 of 29

I guess that you are no longer concerned with the "Sennheiser Veil."
not really, the hd650 sound a lot cleaner and clearer than the HD558.

Can't wait to hear the results with my new amp/DAC.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back