Upgrade from HD555’s - worth it for me?
Jan 9, 2021 at 10:03 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

trip221

New Head-Fier
I used to spend a lot of time on this forum over a decade ago and am now getting back into it. Currently using my trusty Sennheiser HD555's through an Ifi Zen Dac. I have to start out by saying that I always listen with the Truebass boost on. I know that's not the audiophile way to do it, but I appreciate the fuller sound and like to feel the bass.

Anyway, there's nothing wrong with my 555's (other than the small cracks on the band) but given their age and since I'm now using an amp I can't help but wonder if I should upgrade? I'm listening to most music on my Macbook Pro, either 256 AAC or 320 mp3. I have some FLAC files and listened to them side by side with the mp3's/AAC's and to be completely honest they sound the same to me. I want to be an audiophile, but I don't think it's happening. This is what makes me wonder if spending more money on higher-end cans would be a waste for me?

I'm probably looking at the $250-500 range, have to be over-ear, and preferably open backs. I do like the Sennheiser sound profile, but would like a little more bass. I've read so many reviews of the HD6XX and HD660S that now I have no clue what I might like better, or even a completely different brand. A few comments on some headphones I've owned:

HD555 - love open backs, would like more bass
Grado SR60 - didn't like on-ear, wasn't the biggest fan of their sound profile
Bose QC25 - great for travel use, but sound is a little muddy
Westone UM1 - okay for travel, don't like in-ear comfort

Thanks for any suggestions, if you might think it's worth it for me.

Jan 9, 2021 at 12:36 PM Post #2 of 4
Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads.

Jan 10, 2021 at 7:42 AM Post #3 of 4
Bass is a problem for open back headphones. Being an audiophile is not something that you learn, you either are or aren’t. A great many members of Headfi aren’t, in fact a majority. From your description it seems that the HD650 would be a good choice. It comes with a cost of earpads that only Sennheiser can supply which are quite expensive. The HD650 is a dark headphone, the treble is not emphasised as much as say the HD600. The difference is not great but with the HD650s elevated bass it makes for a relaxing listen. If you like a lot of bass then there are other models that have much more bass. A limitation of the HD6 series has always been the drivers ability to extend in bass and if you boost the bass it will distort relatively early. The great strength of the HD650 is its beautiful timbre and its midrange. If you like a large soundstage then it will disappoint. It’s also modular, durable and scales well (higher grade equipment is noticeably better). It’s not for mixing or people who want to hear exactly what was recorded.

Jan 11, 2021 at 8:50 AM Post #4 of 4
I'm probably looking at the $250-500 range, have to be over-ear, and preferably open backs. I do like the Sennheiser sound profile, but would like a little more bass. I've read so many reviews of the HD6XX and HD660S that now I have no clue what I might like better, or even a completely different brand. A few comments on some headphones I've owned:

Thanks for any suggestions
Without the least bit of hesistation I recommend the Dan Clark Audio Aeon RT open or closed, it's a significant upgrade over the Sennheiser 6xx and a far superior class of headphone. Details are more granular, space is fairly wide for a closed back, frequency response is fun (bass bump and very slight treble elevation, but not Grado like levels of treble. The sound is dynamic, lots of energy, the notes are full, instruments each take their own spot in space, really there isn't much to object to for $500 (plus you get %15 off all DCA products in the future!). You'll need

15 day return but you may have to pay postage. If you want a pair of good headphones and you're ready to spend that much money, I believe you won't return them.

A good alternative but look for some used is the Audioquest NightOwl Carbon (or Nighthawk Carbon if you want open back). Oringally a $700 headphone, it's been seen used at under $300 (it closed out at $400). V shaped open sound, quite lively, not sure how accurate it is but it's good on detail and the treble isn't too hot though it's elevated.

You Zen will drive either one, but you'll want to get a more powerful amp for the Aeon down the road. I drove it with my litle desktop Hel dac/amp just fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back