Upgrade from HD 598?
May 17, 2015 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

HiddenFatKid

Head-Fier
Hey Guys!
• I have the HD 598, and once I get an upgrade, they'll be my mobile open back headphones for my phone and laptop and such!
• I'm looking for a nice pair of open backed cans for $400 or less, that'll be a great upgrade from the HD 598's!
• I listen to rock and rap/hip hop. Foo fighters and twenty one pilots are the most prominent ones for each.
• The headphone upgrade will be paired with the Magni 2/Modi 2 Stack! 

~~Any help is appreciated!~~

I've been looking at the AKG K712 Pro's, Hifiman HE-400's, or the Beyer DT 990
I'm really looking for something that'll be a clear sound quality upgrade from the 598's with my Schiit Stack 

Thanks for reading!

May 17, 2015 at 5:18 PM Post #2 of 6
+1 for the DT990s.

I lived with some HD 595 for years, which were adequate for gaming.  I upgraded to the DT990s earlier this year, which set off a bunch of of other closed headphone purchases for use at work.  I'm still using the DT990s as my open can at home.  I don't have any experience with the K712 or HE-400, but the HD595->DT990 was a night and day upgrade.

May 17, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I'm really looking for something that'll be a clear sound quality upgrade from the 598's with my Schiit Stack 

That's going to depend a bit on your particular tastes. Could be some headphones in the <$400 range you might like better than your HD598s.

Might help to know what you would like to improve over the HD598s/keep the same. Want a brighter sound? Better sub bass extension? More overall bass emphasis? There are a lot of options, and some would undoubtedly suit you better than others :)

BTW: I really like the HE-400s. The planar magnetics really do an excellent job with bass texture.

May 17, 2015 at 6:50 PM Post #5 of 6
That's going to depend a bit on your particular tastes. Could be some headphones in the <$400 range you might like better than your HD598s.

Might help to know what you would like to improve over the HD598s/keep the same. Want a brighter sound? Better sub bass extension? More overall bass emphasis? There are a lot of options, and some would undoubtedly suit you better than others
smily_headphones1.gif

BTW: I really like the HE-400s. The planar magnetics really do an excellent job with bass texture.

I've been researching more and more today, and the HE-400's are looking better and better! I like bass, I would like a little more bass emphasis, but I wouldn't consider myself a bass head. I don't listen to very bass heavy stuff unless its Childish Gambino.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back