Upgrade from HD 595 to HD 600 - Opinions??
Nov 26, 2007 at 7:14 AM Post #16 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Of course if I have much preferred the HD650 to the HD595 I have an appropriate amp & source. Regarding the differences, you're correct: but different doesn't mean better.

I am talking 600, not 650. Different cans. It is very fair to assert that hd600 is superior to hd595, and by a long shot. -> I tried driving hd595 with fairly powerful stuff...

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:21 AM Post #17 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I am talking 600, not 650. Different cans. It is very fair to assert that hd600 is superior to hd595, and by a long shot. -> I tried driving hd595 with fairly powerful stuff...

I sometimes thought that the HD595 sounded better than the HD650... But I guess my sense of musicality is not necessarily everyone's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Seriously, to the OP, I would upgrade the HD595/HD580 only with the HD650, 'cause that is an upgrade by all means.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:26 AM Post #18 of 40
Quote:

I sometimes thought that the HD595 sounded better than the HD650... But I guess my sense of musicality is not necessarily everyone's.
smily_headphones1.gif

Well I guess the preference towards HD595 would lie in form of its more forward midrange. I just noticed after long time using HD595, and some time HD600, I can produce the good qualities of HD595 via HD600 by using different amps, while I frankly cannot get HD595 to have the excellent impact of the HD600, and the same level of detail. This is why I say HD600 is superior.

That being said, this is obviously not so easy with cheaper setups, and hence preference to some things HD595 does is very plausible.

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:54 AM Post #19 of 40
I have always found that, analytically speaking, the superiority of the HD650 over the HD595 was quite evident even driving both with my former Pioneer A-209R (equivalent to A-35R) integrated amp. Now with my modified Xenos 1HA-EPC things would obviously be more apparent (or perhaps not so much? The HD595, if I still had it, could very well be more at ease with a 0 ohm output impedance amp). Oh, the source is a tweaked (by myself) Cambridge Audio D-300SE CDP which still sounds gorgeous to me.

Musically speaking, the HD595 gained ground over the HD650 thanks to its passionate way of portraying vocals. Actually, also thanks to the nice bass and sweet treble. Now, if the HD600 is more dull and distant, and brighter than the HD650 like they say... I don't know how much I'd like it at all.

Heh...things turn personal
tongue.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:04 AM Post #20 of 40
I am trying to keep personality out of this. Alot of posts right now are made by people without much experience, and I am making some effort to call those out (nothing personal to you, but today you seem to be committing that crime). Hence I am picking on your opinion. Also the fact that your main amp is a portable amp...ya...I had at least something like this in mind with regards to good amplification: linkie...

Hence the reason I ask what equipment you used to make the assertion. Sure HD650 easily sounds superior, HD600 is not one of those things that just jumps in your face. That does not mean HD600 does not have much ground on HD595, just as HD650 has it against HD595.

I mean, I have listened to a barrage of amplifiers with all of the above, consistently heard that HD600 can sound very forward, very detailed, very punchy. HD595 on the other hand will retain its primary issue - the treble and bass extension, and thats the area it definitely falls behind in by a large margin.

Now what you prefer in a good setup, HD650 and HD600 - different story, but I don't think that is the issue here, and either choice is just fine.

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:10 AM Post #21 of 40
Ever heard the Xenos 1HA-EPC? Also judging by a general prejudice is not a very serious attitude.
smily_headphones1.gif
I only use it with a good linear regulated DC power supply and with high quality RCA-mini interconnects; besides, I have changed its opamps to LME49720 and LT1364 and it sounds fantastically musical.

By the way, I have noticed the same shift towards inexperience in the forum; could be that the average age of posters is seemingly lower and lower.

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:08 AM Post #22 of 40
Quote:

Ever heard the Xenos 1HA-EPC? Also judging by a general prejudice is not a very serious attitude.
smily_headphones1.gif
I only use it with a good linear regulated DC power supply and with high quality RCA-mini interconnects; besides, I have changed its opamps to LME49720 and LT1364 and it sounds fantastically musical.

Not in that configuration...my guess is that the case about mentioned products goes both ways? This is not going to get anywhere hah...majority of the stuff I have seen at the meets so far had big name tags on em...boring.

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:05 PM Post #23 of 40
The hd600 is made from the same cloth as the 595 with a different frequency response. still a slow and sluggish can but very organic if it is compatible with your hrtf

Nov 26, 2007 at 3:31 PM Post #24 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by donunus /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The hd600 is made from the same cloth as the 595 with a different frequency response. still a slow and sluggish can but very organic if it is compatible with your hrtf

Didn't find the HD595 "slow" (actually I liked the agile bass and still full&deep) nor do I find the HD650 slow at all. I do find both organic - perhaps the HD595 more with its intimate midrange that seems to help hold the rest of the spectrum together
cool.gif

Nov 26, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #25 of 40
Quote:

Didn't find the HD595 "slow" (actually I liked the agile bass and still full&deep) nor do I find the HD650 slow at all. I do find both organic - perhaps the HD595 more with its intimate midrange that seems to help hold the rest of the spectrum together
cool.gif

Ok guy. HD595 does not have deep bass xD It just does not (on specs it does, but it actually rolls off to all hell).

Both are slow - but you have to hear a substantially faster can to be able to ell - say, an electrostatic =]

Nov 26, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #26 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerB /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great to have Head Fi back up again. I missed you guys and gals!!

Anyway, I currently have the 595's and have upgradeitis. From searching thru the threads I think I would prefer the 600's to the 650's.

I would appreciate any opinions on what to expect going from the 595's to the 600's. Is the upgrade significant?

Thanks in advance for any and all opinions.

Roger

IMHO the HD600 is a real stepup compared to the HD595 (which is good for the money).
More extended, more refined, more balanced, the HD600 seems to be really in another class. (I understand if one prefers the more forward HD595, it's a matter of taste).
The HD600 can sound "good" also without a dedicated amplifier (unlike the HD650 which is more idiosincratic), but it's with the proper (powerful and classy) amplifier that begins really to "shine".

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:04 PM Post #27 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by MaloS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok guy. HD595 does not have deep bass xD It just does not (on specs it does, but it actually rolls off to all hell).

Both are slow - but you have to hear a substantially faster can to be able to ell - say, an electrostatic =]

Sorry, but there's nothing slow about both cans (especially so for the HD650). You have to be a very frenetical guy!
redface.gif

Also, the HD595 had deep bass enough to wow me when the music called for it. It may not be the punchiest bass, but the extension is unquestionably not lacking (look at Headroom's graphs -- that's no Grado-like bass. It doesn't have 100 Hz spikes that add punch, but it has the real extension in change. That's exactly what I heard).

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:06 PM Post #28 of 40
Klarnet Basowy-

Does the DarkVoice 336i fall under the category 'powerful and classy'? I have been pricing the 650 as well and they are not that much more than the 600 right now at HeadRoom. I'm ready to JUMP on one or the other, but which one is driving me nutz at the moment...

Nov 26, 2007 at 10:26 PM Post #29 of 40
I might as well be frenetical if you want to call it that
eek.gif
Obviously something that can move 20000 times a second is pretty fast, but there are finer points to this...fidelity can go pretty far :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back