Upgrade from HD-280
Mar 27, 2006 at 5:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Choo Choo

Head-Fier
I travel extensively with long flights to Asia and Europe. I am currently using Senn. HD-280. I like the isolation and comfort, but like most on this forum, I would like to upgrade. I have a 60G iPod Photo w/ Redwine Mod. and use a RSA Hornet. I listen mainly to classic rock, blues, R&B, & folk. I live in a small market with few opportunties to audition phones. I feel that I need closed phones that cover the ears for comfort. Recommendations please.

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #3 of 8
That's tricky. HD280s are about as good as it gets in terms of isolation among conventional closed cans. Real upgrades are probably to be looked for in the IEM camp.

Mar 27, 2006 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 8
Mar 27, 2006 at 11:30 PM Post #6 of 8
sgrossklass That's tricky. HD280s are about as good as it gets in terms of isolation among conventional closed cans. Real upgrades are probably to be looked for in the IEM camp. ]

I have the E3c, but thus far IEM's don't seem to do it for me. I've considered upgrading to the E4 / E5. The HD-280 is comfortable, just trying to obtain the best quality sound in that enviroment!

Thanks,

Mar 28, 2006 at 12:03 AM Post #7 of 8
The Beyer dt250 is a very good headphone; excellent sound, rugged design, relatively light, comfortable. However, they don't work very well for me at bumpy buses with lots of road rumble. I haven't tried them in the air yet.

Maybe nothing would work here, or maybe I'm just too sensitive. I found it pretty much killed the bass experience for me, flat EQ as always. It was like there was no bass at all, very weird. Of course I tried some EQ to compensate but then my ears started to hurt. This is the only disappointment I've had with these phones, ever.

You should be careful what you wish for with these cans, the effortless power capabilities and the low distortion can be very dangerous when fighting already loud noise from the outside leaking in. I almost never perceive the sound as "too loud"... it is like you can go on and on, rising volume until your head explode.

This does not prevent me from hoping you are right, Jagorev, that I will find them more enjoyable in the air! Otherwise I'll continue using plain earplugs since I can't stand IEM's for more than ten minutes.

PS. Something I found actually do work for me to keep noise out and a give a more relaxing journey with some music is ... PlaneQuiet NC-6. The difference between ANC and plugs IMO is that rumble is kept out better with ANC, and this is what is most annoying to me. Senn PXC series are even better.

Mar 28, 2006 at 3:49 AM Post #8 of 8
You could always think about a bigger ATH Closed can.

Couple of other thoughts - the Beyer DT-250 velour pads fit on the 280 - there is no foam but the driver is somewhat covered (could always use your own foam/pantyhose material - the driver does sit closer to your ear for those with pointy ears perhaps a concern). I've found them much more compfortable with these pads as well better sounding - noticable difference in any case.

You might also think about a replacement cable. The can has a propriatary pug but you could order a replacement cable and solder it or have someone solder it for you. Stefan Art would only sell an unterminated cable and quoted me a price; they said that they had engineers recable the 280 on occassion. Headphile refused but Moon audio said that they would be happy to do it. Or commission a DIYer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back