Upgrade from Harman Kardon Soundsticks II ?
Nov 16, 2011 at 11:08 AM Post #16 of 24
The wharfedales are 6ohm and the receivers power ratings are Continuous Average Power (FTC) not RMS, it's FTC into 6ohms is probley around 130watts thats FTC not RMS the speakers power ratings are RMS not FTC.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:32 PM Post #17 of 24

Quote:
The wharfedales are 6ohm and the receivers power ratings are Continuous Average Power (FTC) not RMS, it's FTC into 6ohms is probley around 130watts thats FTC not RMS the speakers power ratings are RMS not FTC.

I don't understand the abbreviations you are using.

I've just been thinking, if the Edifier R1600Ts were amped, could their max volume succeed that of the Soundsticks? Or are the Edifiers just not suitable for being amped? Its no good just being loud, they have to be punchy as well.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:50 PM Post #18 of 24
You can't amp the edifiers any more, you would have to replace there interal amp or take it out and bulid a passive cross-over and run them from an extenal amp both require a good knowledge of eletronics and speaker d.i.y.

Nov 16, 2011 at 4:55 PM Post #19 of 24
Quote:
You can't amp the edifiers any more, you would have to replace there interal amp or take it out and bulid a passive cross-over and run them from an extenal amp both require a good knowledge of eletronics and speaker d.i.y.

Ok, so I really do need a bookshelf upgrade then.

The Wharfedale Diamond 10.2s and SW150 look fantastic, but I need to keep the total cost  (bookshelves + sub + amp) under £500. I am going to have to downgrade somewhere. 

Nov 16, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #23 of 24
Thats great. That is the build I will go for if I am buying totally new parts.

I am also investigating an old high-end hi-fi system to see if it still has life in it somewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back