Upgrade from Grado SR-80s for my system
Apr 7, 2008 at 4:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

evanft

500+ Head-Fier
Well, it looks like I'm going to be upgrading my headphones in the near future. I currently have a pair of Grado SR-80s, and I like their very rockin' sound, but I wouldn't mind if they were a little more laid back, neutral, balanced, or whatever you want to call it. I listen to a lot of rock music, but that includes many different genre, such as extreme metal, indie, classic rock, etc. Here's some of the choices that intrigue me:

- AKG K501/701 - I've seen these described as being somewhat like the Grados, but more laid back. I also see a lot of posts saying the 501 is superior to the 701. I'm actually kinda leaning towards the K501s.

- Sennheiser 595/600/650/??? - Maybe a little too neutral for my tastes? I've heard these make great classical headphones.

- Grado SR-225/325i - Or I could just upgrade to a higher-end Grado, but I've heard that the other brands are perhaps superior in the price rang I'm going for ($200-$300, give or take $50). I've also never been happy with the comfort level, either.

I currently have an Oppo 980 hooked up to a Darkvoice 336i. Any thoughts?

Apr 7, 2008 at 4:57 PM Post #2 of 15
The AKG K240 sextett is very much like a good grado, except it has comfort and soundstage.

The HD580 is also good for rock, albeit a tad slow in my setup.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:53 PM Post #3 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gautama /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The AKG K240 sextett is very much like a good grado, except it has comfort and soundstage.

The HD580 is also good for rock, albeit a tad slow in my setup.

How does the sextett compare to the 501? The slowness of the Senns makes me less interested.

Apr 7, 2008 at 6:59 PM Post #4 of 15
You might keep the SR-80 and add the K501 (or Fitz has a K400 for sale which is the 501 predecessor). You can see from my signature that this is what I have done.

I like the Grado's for the upfront in your face presentation, albeit a narrow soundstage. Favorite cans for classic rock. The K501 mids have been raved about before. Very sweet with Classical and wide sound stage. Depends on my mood, but I like both cans for jazz ... different but very enjoyable. Wouldn't want to be without either.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 15
But how do the K501s sound with metal and other forms of TEH RAWK?

I also wouldn't mind an expanded soundstage. I've seen the AKGs described as being kinda in between the Senns and Grados in that they have a wider soundstage but still rock. The Sennheisers put you 10 rows back, while the Grados put you on stage and the AKGs put you in the third row, essentially.

Other suggestions are welcome, BTW.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:44 PM Post #6 of 15
evanft;4051503 said:
But how do the K501s sound with metal and other forms of TEH RAWK?

I wouldn't think the 501s would be very good with metal. Just don't have the punch the Grados do in the bass No idea what TEH RAWK is (I don't always get acronyms).

I also wouldn't mind an expanded soundstage. I've seen the AKGs described as being kinda in between the Senns and Grados in that they have a wider soundstage but still rock. The Sennheisers put you 10 rows back, while the Grados put you on stage and the AKGs put you in the third row, essentially.

I have not heard the Senns. But I find the K501 soundstage is certainly wider and deeper than the Grados. I always find it odd when I hear an instrument seemingly behind me with the Grados. Based only on wha I have read I don't believe you will find he Senns have a wider soundstage.

Before I got the K501s most people seemed to recommend the HD580s as the best complementary HP to go with Grado for classical and jazz.

Apr 7, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 15
Hmmm...any opinions on the K701s? I'm not looking for a compliment, BTW.

Also, as I've been reading some threads here, it seems that a lot of the people who like the K501s are way into acoustic and classical music, making their presentation more suitable. The K701s seem to be much different and have been described as more versatile, which piques my interest.

Apr 7, 2008 at 8:56 PM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by evanft /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm...any opinions on the K701s? I'm not looking for a compliment, BTW.

Also, as I've been reading some threads here, it seems that a lot of the people who like the K501s are way into acoustic and classical music, making their presentation more suitable. The K701s seem to be much different and have been described as more versatile, which piques my interest.

K701s are more of jack of all trades, master of none - I primarily use it for live music and classical. They do rock music decent, save for music with heavy distortion - I recommend SR225s for that purpose.

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:12 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

But how do the K501s sound with metal

I've heard the K501 and liked it a lot, but liked the K601 even a bit better due to what I perceived as more palpable bass. I don't listen to metal, but I would suggest searching for some of MaZa's threads on the K601 as he's got a pair with a decent setup and from what I know, a good set of ears. He is also the king of metal
biggrin.gif

Apr 7, 2008 at 9:28 PM Post #10 of 15
I have not listened to any of these but from reading reviews, if you are going to go up to $300 you might also want to include:
Alessandro MS2i
Beyerdynamic DT880/990
Ultrasone Proline 2500

I have the Sennheiser HD580 and find them a little too laid back for rock, but I have never heard Grado's to compare them to. My only other main headphones are Koss KSC75 and they are more forward then the Senns.

Apr 7, 2008 at 10:18 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

How does the sextett compare to the 501? The slowness of the Senns makes me less interested.

Haven't heard the 501s.

And you would have no idea the Senns are slow unless you compare them to something else.

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:14 AM Post #12 of 15
Well, I've heard "slow" and "too laid back" used to describe Senns enough to know that they may not be to my liking, especially when we're talking about an upgrade from Grados.

Hmmm....the Alessandro MS2i might be up my alley. It's a Grado, but it's supposed to be more neutral and have a wider soundstage while still maintaining some of that "Grado Sound" I like so much. What's the word on those?

Oh, and I'm really leaning towards the K701s. Their versatility and overall quality really attract me. Plus, I asked in a thread about the K701 vs. K501, and my Darkvoice is supposed to match well with the K701. Any other opinions about this setup?

Apr 8, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #13 of 15
Well I have not heard the 501's, but I do like my 701's as a nice compliment to my 225's. I also have a pair of 580's and would think that might be a little too much swing to the other side from your 80's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back