Upgrade from ER4
Sep 5, 2012 at 2:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

realmassy

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,
I'm thinking of upgrading my 3/4 years old Etys ER4S: budget about £300.
No headphones but only IEM.
Isolation is a must, as well as ability to use them unamped with my ipod classic.
All in all I like the ER4 sound signature, being a fan of electrostatic headphones. Musical preference is classical, mostly chamber and vocal
So far in my short list:
RE-272 or 262
SE-535 (but can I wear them with glasses?)
Anything else...?

Any help is appreciated.

Sep 5, 2012 at 9:41 PM Post #2 of 11
If you like the Ety Sound and want to change it up just a bit. Might I suggest a quick acoustic damper change. It will improve the bass and may be just the change you are looking for. It would only cost a couple of bucks to try.

Good Luck, Jim

Sep 6, 2012 at 6:41 AM Post #5 of 11
Thanks Jim,
What do you mean with 'quick acoustic damper'? Any links or pictures?

The quick answer is...

Instead of putting green filters back in your ER-4. Put in some red or orange ones. They smooth the higher frequencies and let the lows shine through. I have done this with my Etymotic MC5s and the change is... (insert your own reaction here).

Long answer and measurements can be found here: http://rinchoi.blogspot.com/2012/08/the-effect-of-acoustic-dampers-on-iems.html?m=1

Enjoy, Jim

Sep 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #7 of 11
I'd consider the RE272 and take a look at the GR10. I think they are both improvements upon the ER4 analytical sound.

Re272 are on my short list, but I didn't know the GR10.
I really don't know if I'm a fan of analytical sound: ER4 are basically my first IEMs, I know I like them, but I haven't tried anything else :) I wouldn't mind a change in sound signature, providing clarity and timbre accuracy are still very good.

Nov 23, 2012 at 11:08 PM Post #8 of 11
Don't get me wrong, 10-15 years ago Ety took a lot of my money and I found their IEM's very engaging back in that era.  Have owned RE6i, ER4P and ER4S a couple times.  But  alot has happened since.

I found this review on PC Mag and I find this description of the bass irresponsible.  I personally could care less but I hate that people would read this and make a purchase thinking they are buying some bass cannons.  Irresponsible....

And yet, the bass response is lively. The sub-bass thump of The Knife's "Silent Shout" shines on the ER-4PT, as does the total range of an orchestra performing "The Chairman Dances" by John Adams. There is not a style of music ill-suited for the ER-4PT. Hip hop and heavy bass will still sound excellent

Seriously!!! It's a joke, right???  Reviewer apparantly got a free pair.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back