Upgrade from E10K + HD598 at home and MDR-1AM2 on the go
Feb 14, 2020 at 12:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Skiamonds

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone ! First post ever on this forum, so I hope I don't cut any corner by starting off with this kind of thread !

I guess my setup is really basic compared to what is usually seen on this forum, I have a FiiO E10K paired with an open HD598 on my computer, and the Sony MDR-1AM2 which I pair with an AK Jr. on the go.

I would like to upgrade both my home (music + gaming) and nomad experience without paying more than 200-300€ for each aspect if the jump in quality is justified.
I've seen a lot of positive feedbacks regarding the different massdrop editions and was leaning towards the HD58X Jubilee and the HD6XX for my computer. Woud there be a noticeable difference from my HD598 and is an amp/DAC combo necessary for the HD58X. Similarly, and if the HD58X can be used without a new amp, would the HD6XX justify investing in something like a jds atom and modi/khadas tone board combo which seem pretty popular. Is the new HarmonicDyne Helios worth considering ?

Same thing regarding closed back headphones, is there a good value option to upgrade from my MDR-1AM2 ?

Now I stumbled upon the Drop PANDA announcement 3 days ago and I was wondering if this could be the perfect answer (on paper) for me to keep at home and on the go since they shouldn't really need an amp ?

Any kind of input would be greatly appreciated ! Thanks !

Feb 14, 2020 at 12:45 PM Post #2 of 4
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X can be driving by both the FiiO E10K or the AK Jr.
The HD598 would be good to keep for use with FPS gaming.

Feb 14, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58X can be driving by both the FiiO E10K or the AK Jr.
The HD598 would be good to keep for use with FPS gaming.

Thank you for your response ! Do you feel like the 58x are worth the investment besides the FPS gaming part ? I understand they must be pretty much better in every other aspects, but would you say it is a sufficient upgrade with my setup or should I save the 150$ to eventually get a superior pair / setup ?

Feb 14, 2020 at 11:12 PM Post #4 of 4
Thank you for your response ! Do you feel like the 58x are worth the investment besides the FPS gaming part ? I understand they must be pretty much better in every other aspects, but would you say it is a sufficient upgrade with my setup or should I save the 150$ to eventually get a superior pair / setup ?
The 300-Ohm Sennheiser/Massdrop HD6XX is something to be used with a decent tube headphone amplifier or powerful solid state head amp, to get the best from it.
So it's more the 150-Ohm HD58X is more the default choice.
The AK Jr should easy drive the HD58X.
Also I've been using my HD58X almost every, for the past several months.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back