Upgrade from DT831? DT770 Pro? ER4P?
Apr 7, 2002 at 9:59 PM Post #16 of 23
Um, guys, I'm looking for a set of 'throw in the backpack with bunches of other stuff' isolating headphones for use in a car, bus, whatever....

I would use these on, like, a bus trip with a bunch of peers, and I dont want something all wooden and scratchable and such....

Remember, i'm also on a limited budget. Is anyone interested in a used set of DT831's, by the way??

so the DT770's isolate 18 dB??

Apr 7, 2002 at 10:05 PM Post #17 of 23
I dunno, Glue, I can't help but think if someone was interested in a used set of DT831s, they might've clicked on the link in my sig.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 10:46 PM Post #19 of 23
I've never owned the 831's, only the 770, but looking at pictures of the 831, I'd say the 770 should be much more durable. The 770's earpiece holders are one piece of metal (one piece for left, one for right), maybe steel, going into the headphone. The 831's look like plastic, like the 931's, and I believe someone had a problem with that part of the 931's. The metal earpiece holders are pretty stiff, enough to take a lot of abuse, but you might be able to bend it out of / into shape if you very forcefully sit on it or bend it in a particular way - I never stress tested it, but that's what I think based on my experience with other metal bars of similar thickness and shape.

The 770's earcup is a pretty durable single piece of plastic; I think you'd need a hammer to crack it. Also there's 1 pretty thick coiled line coming form the left earpiece of the 770, rather than 2 thin lines come from the earpieces of the 831.

And the headband cushion part itself doesn't have nearly risk of being affected as the 831, since it's pretty much one thick bundle rather than 2 separate thinner layers.

Apr 7, 2002 at 11:35 PM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Gluegun
I am NOT getting big wooden headphones

I think you just have something against "big wood headphones," don't you, Gluegun? Huh? Admit it!!
rolleyes.gif
smily_headphones1.gif
tongue.gif

Apr 8, 2002 at 2:18 AM Post #22 of 23
In terms of durability, the 770pros are made of springsteel and seriously strong plastic, you're not going to have durability issues. I never worry about breaking the 770pros... ever, but the 831s do have a slightly flimsy feel to them.

Checking some isolation, the 770pros do seem to isolate more, but I can't really give you an example of how much more they isolate.

I'm gonna say it again though, going from the 831s to the 770pros is going to be interesting
wink.gif

Apr 8, 2002 at 10:17 AM Post #23 of 23
Quote:

Originally posted by Snufkin
I'm gonna say it again though, going from the 831s to the 770pros is going to be interesting
wink.gif

Yes.
smily_headphones1.gif

Gluegun, I'd say the DT 770 Pro ought to give you everything that you are missing in your DT 831 at this point: smoother, less fatiguing treble, very deep and slamming bass response, more isolation, better durability. It's definitely worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back