Apr 7, 2002 at 4:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Gluegun

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi... Okay, here are the headphones I use:

Beyerdynamic DT831
Sennheiser HD565
Sony MDR-EX70LP

I also bought the ER20 earplugs

Okay, on a car trip, I found that the 831's dont block out enough sound... I managed to block out enough sound by using my ex70's under my 831's, plugging my ex70's into the headphone out of my SL-CT470, and the 831's into the line out, providing me with plenty of sound blockage so I didnt have to listen to dad's (grrr) books on tape in the car.

But, that got me to thinking. Now that I got the 565's, and I have been listening to speakers, I have been missing some impacting bass, and the 831's now sound kinda bright and fatiguing to me. So, I am thinking of an upgrade to the DT770 Pro's... I think it's about time that I got something authoritative in the bass...

but, then I think about the Etymotic ER4P's with teh 4S adaptor... I have been using the ER20's and EX70's to try and train my ears to not hurt, but it is not working well.... and I do not really want to spend $260 + $100 for a custom mold + $20 for an official adaptor cable when it comes out. True, I might never need another headphone again, but where's the fun in that? And what about bass?? I dont want to really fool with this stuff...

So, does the 770 Pro block out more sound than the 831? Where could I buy the 770 Pro cheapest with a credit card? Meier Audio is accepting credit cards these days, right? Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks!!

Hmm. I need to change my pic to a stylized version of the HD565 Ovations. Can anyone help me with that?

Apr 7, 2002 at 5:23 AM Post #2 of 23
I can answer the Etymotic issues but not the 770 ones.
smily_headphones1.gif

The adapter will cost $50 from Etymotic, not $20. The fixup adapter is about $20. You may not need an adapter at all, though--the ER-4S is only 100ohm. This is fine for most portables, just maybe not quite good enough for the exceptionally crappy ones. You may decide, however, that you want a different cable altogether that is less microphonic and that will cost you $40 from fixup or whatever the cost of materials are to build your own.

As for the bass--the deepest audible bass is there with the Etymotic every drop of it. But it does not have the slightest bit of tactile sensation. And you wouldn't want it since it's crammed in your ear, that'd make you neauseated. However, many people here do like having that with other headphones. Personally, I don't miss it. Coming from the DT831, I don't see how you could possibly be disappointed in the Etymotic bass. The DT831's weakness is definitely its lack of bass. However, if you do want the tactile bass, this is allegedly the strength of the 770--but that's not REALLY a good portabel can now, is it.

Apr 7, 2002 at 6:45 AM Post #3 of 23
You're going to get about the same impedance with the 770 (250ohm) as the 831, they both block out about the same amount of external noise, but I don't know if I'd consider the 770 an "upgrade" from the 831 so much as a crossgrade, it's a completely different beastie. Your initial impressions of going from the 831 to the 770 will most likely initially be disappointment at the lack of detail compared to the 831, but if you give it time you're likely to enjoy the 770 for what it is
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 7, 2002 at 11:07 AM Post #4 of 23
I think it's fair to say that the Etymotics do require a little committment on your part. There is a learning curve regarding fitting and personally I find that the best sound quality is obtained by not inserting them as deeply as possible.

When you insert the Ety's too deeply the sound can become too thin - when inserted and equalised correctly, the sound will open up and become fuller and more natural. They still have the ability to block out ambient noise but not as much as if they were fully inserted.

Custom earmoulds in some ways are a better solution if you want both isolation and sound quality but that does involve even more expense.

Apr 7, 2002 at 3:16 PM Post #5 of 23
"Authoritative in the bass" definately describes the DT770s. As Snufkin said, you'll probably miss some detail, but you'll gain a fun lovin' pair of headphones. My two main complaints about my DT770s are that they lack a bit of detail (the detail is there, but not quite as strong as with some other headphones) and that the bass is so strong that it sometimes becomes 'disconnected' from the rest of the music, as if the midrange just isn't keeping up with what's going on in the bass.

I think that if I ever upgrade from my DT770s, I'll probably get some Etys. But coming from the 770s, I know it's going to take me a looong time to get used to not having physical impact from the bass.

Apr 7, 2002 at 6:41 PM Post #6 of 23
Well, here's the deal....

I'm considering selling the 831's cause their treble is a bit too much, the bass isn't enough, and the isolation isn't enough. I don't need the obscene detail -- I find the more laid back treble detail of the Sennheiser HD565 Ovation headphones enough, and of my Diva Swan M-200 speakers enough. What I want is a set of closed headphones that give me some thumpin' bass and isolation, for use with my amp...

The 770's would fix the treble and bass problems, right? Would they fix the isolation problems? The isolation is the EXACT same??

So it would cost $260 + $50 for official + maybe $100 from my local audiologist to get an ultimate Etymotic setup?

That is way, way, way too much.....

Apr 7, 2002 at 6:46 PM Post #7 of 23
You know most people don't get custom earmolds and most people are fine with the $270 ER-4S out of the box.

Apr 7, 2002 at 7:07 PM Post #8 of 23
The problem is, I am NOT fine with the Sony MDR-EX70LP, and nor am I fine with the Etymotic ER20... they both hurt! BTW, these both use rubber flanged tips.... would foamies fix my problem?

Apr 7, 2002 at 7:25 PM Post #9 of 23
Don't know... maybe you just don't like stuff in your ears. If that's the case, that's OK, but then cross off Etys and other canalphones from your list of choices.

But, since Ety offers a variety of options for comfort, you can always try them to see what works best for you. If they don't work out after 29 days of effort, send them back to HeadRoom.

There are two different styles and two size tips for both styles... one of them is bound to work for you. If the standard tips don't work, try the foamies. If either doesn't work well for you, try the other size foamie or tip. A pack of different size foamies or tips will cost ~$15 plus shipping. Buy one of each at the same time to save on the shipping charges.

Headphones are all about finding the correct compromise that will work best for you. If isolation is critical AND you want outstanding sound, Ety's make a lot of sense. But, there are other styles of cans that you can peruse that also provide some isolation but through a different mecahnism (like those BIG daddy over-the-ears Koss and others!). The fidelity may be different, but that's the compromise.

Finally, if you're worried about cost, well, you're definately in the wrong place!!!
biggrin.gif

Good luck with the search!

Bruce

Apr 7, 2002 at 7:30 PM Post #10 of 23
Well, I'm definitely wanting to know about DT770 isolation vs. DT831 isolation....

One person says that they are the same. Does anyone have any second opinions?

Apr 7, 2002 at 8:10 PM Post #11 of 23
According to the Beyerdynamic website the DT770 have 18dB isolation and the DT831 14dB. Quite a big difference. Looking at this thread I think the DT770 are the ideal choice for you.

Apr 7, 2002 at 9:54 PM Post #13 of 23
How about those luscious sounding ATH-W100's?
They're closed headphones and they have excellent sound which I cannot yet vouch for, but soon . . . Though I'm not sure how these do at really blocking out the sound. I've heard that they are alright at blocking out ambient noise, but I'm not sure how they compare to the Beyers.

Apr 7, 2002 at 9:56 PM Post #15 of 23
I actually thought the W2002 isolated better than the DT831. It also had the advantage of being easy to drive and not needing much volume. If you don't need your portable can to be "small", the W100 might be a good fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back