Upgrade from DT770?
Mar 9, 2014 at 3:35 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Fleshless

New Head-Fier
My name is Alex, i am from Austria and need your help.
Sorry in advance for my bad english.

Currently i´m using a Beyerdynamic DT770Pro 250Ohm with a Asus Xonar Essence STX and i´m looking for an upgrade so i made a list and searched many many reviews but still have no idea which Headphone to buy or even to consider.

Here is where i need your help.

This is the List that i made:

AudezeLCD2
Audio-TechnicaATH-W5000
 ATH-AD2000X
 ATH-W1000X
 ATH-AD1000
BeyerdynamicT5p
 T1
 T90
 T70
 T70p
 DT880 600 Ohm
Focal SpiritClassic
FostexTH-600
GradoGS1000i
 PS500
HiFiManHE-500
NADViso HP50
SennheiserHD800
 HD700
 HD650
ShureSRH1540
 SRH1840
UltrasoneEdition 8 Palladium
 Signature DJ
 PRO 2900

EDIT: Completely forgot : this headphones are for homeuse only and my taste in music is mostly in Rock/Metal and Dubstep, sometimes a little bit Classic.
Also i will use them for gaming a lot.

The question is which of them is properly amplified by my Asus Xonar Essence STX because i don´t want to buy another AMP+Headphones.
So please tell me which of the listes HP´s i can discard from the list and maybe which HP´s i am missing on my list?
And also in general, which of the HP´s would you recommend and why?
Which one is the best Bang for the Bucks?

Thanks in advance and sorry again for my english.

Greetings

Mar 9, 2014 at 5:25 PM Post #2 of 8
For your taste in music i would say the Fostex TH-600 is probably a good choice.

You would probably need an amp and DAC for them, but i don't really know which ones would be best. try looking at a TH-600 thread.

Another option is to wait for Hifiman to start selling their new models (the HE-400i and HE-560) since they might prove to be a good option for you. 

Mar 9, 2014 at 6:58 PM Post #3 of 8
EDIT: Completely forgot : this headphones are for homeuse only and my taste in music is mostly in Rock/Metal and Dubstep, sometimes a little bit Classic.

With that kind of list you have above, and these varied interest, you might want to get two sets of headphones. For instance, I like my HE-400s for bass heavy music, but my SR225i for rock/metal.

Mar 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 8
Thanks so far but 

1. i really don´t want to buy an external AMP/DAC.
2. i also really dont want to buy 2 headphones

Also i should say that i think i´m about 65% Gaming, 20% Music, 15% Movies and Youtube Vids.

So which headphones from the list could i use properly with my Essence STX and which would you say would really be an Upgrade from the DT770?

Thanks in advance

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #6 of 8
I´m also considering getting some other Op Amps for my Essence STX.

I was looking at the lme49860 and lme49720, is there a big difference?

Still have no clue which headphone would work well with my Soundcard or can i run them all fine with my card?

Mar 11, 2014 at 1:29 PM Post #7 of 8
I´m also considering getting some other Op Amps for my Essence STX.

I was looking at the lme49860 and lme49720, is there a big difference?

You want to research and ask questions about the STX and op amps in this thread: http://www.head-fi.org/t/421890/the-xonar-essence-stx-q-a-tweaking-impressions-thread

Still have no clue which headphone would work well with my Soundcard or can i run them all fine with my card?

Most headphones will work fine with the STX. Best bet is to greatly narrow down that HUGE list in your first post to just a few, then ask.

Apr 11, 2014 at 10:27 PM Post #8 of 8
Hey yall, im gonna jump in here, I also have the 770 80ohm, and I listen to a wide range of music but I really appreciate the great bass of the 770s. I am interested in upgrading and would like to retain and/or upgrade bass quality otherwise open to suggestions. Comfort also is a factor, the 770s can be on my head for months, hard to say that about many cans. suggestions? so far iv heard d2000, d600 or srh1540

Users who are viewing this thread

Back