Upgrade from DR150 - £200 budget
Jan 15, 2009 at 8:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Marco2

100+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I am looking for a headphone that takes the basic sonic character of the DR150's but improves on it. In particular I am looking to gain better soundstaging, with improved refinement , resolution and transparency.

I particuarly like the forward, full bodied nature of the DR150's.

I would prefer an open design but will consider closed designs. I would prefer to buy new and have a budget of £200, or there abouts.

I will be using them primarily with vinyl as the source and using the Headmaster on amplification duties.

I listen primarily to rock/metal but do also listen to many other genres too.

I would appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.

May 23, 2009 at 9:48 AM Post #2 of 8
Bump- I'm in the same position as the OP is/was.

May 26, 2009 at 7:45 AM Post #3 of 8
Bump...no clear upgrade path? (My DR150s are for sale btw)

I want a can with the DR150's bass extension and authority, but with a bit more clarity in the midrange.

May 30, 2009 at 4:52 PM Post #5 of 8
Hi,
£200 would probably get you some SR-225s, which would go well with your rock/metal music. They are also forward which you would like, but they don't have much of a soundstage. A pair of K601s would also fit most of your criteria. I don't have any experience with these, but other threads seem to suggest that they are what you are looking for.
Daniel

May 30, 2009 at 7:11 PM Post #7 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by DHHZ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi,
£200 would probably get you some SR-225s, which would go well with your rock/metal music. They are also forward which you would like, but they don't have much of a soundstage. A pair of K601s would also fit most of your criteria. I don't have any experience with these, but other threads seem to suggest that they are what you are looking for.
Daniel

I used the SR225s for a long time. IMO, the Goldrings would be just as good, if not for the slightly recessed mids. What about MS2s?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back