Upgrade from Denon D2000?
Sep 15, 2009 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jonathanjong

Headphoneus Supremus
Back to question-asking time, after several months lurking and answering others' questions. I'm not quite ready to upgrade, but I want to know what the live options are if I want to move up from D2000. Here are some considerations:

I want a full-sized can, either closed-back or an open-back with very, very, very little outward leakage (don't really care if noise can get in). That leaves out any Grado.

I don't really want another Denon, so that leaves Lawton Audio mods, D5000, and D7000 out. I currently have AKG K601 and HD580, and I prefer the latter to the former, but these are (as you know) open cans. I also have and love a pair of ESW9s. Perhaps another AT is the way to go?

The headphones will be plugged into a D10, which is connected to an iMac via an optical cable. I listen to mostly indie pop and rock (e.g., Belle & Sebastian, The Decemberists, The Frames), although there's a lot of alternative and punk too (e.g., Muse, Radiohead, The Clash). I don't really do classical at work, so I won't need these headphones to do that well. I'm thinking a fun headphone, rather than an analytical one. A Grado...but closed. You see the problem.

Ideas? Please and thank you.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #2 of 7
well, this is what I can think of off the top of my head

Ultrasones (I never remember the model numbers of these for some reason)
Kenwood KH-K1000
JVC HP-DX700 or HP-DX1000
woodie audio-technicas include ATH-W5000.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:32 AM Post #3 of 7
From what I've read, to many people so far the SRH840 seems have been an upgrade for them from D2000... can't say myself as I haven't owned the D2000 (well, they kick the pants out of my D1001 if that matters any) but at the very least they seem like a more neutral sounding sidegrade option to D2000. Seeing your current cans in question they may actually suit you well sound wise (since K601/HD580's are more neutral offerings than most you may like the SRH840 sound) and they leak almost zero sound so they may be a good (and cost effective) option.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:36 AM Post #4 of 7
Now that you eliminated everything almost, you will just have to pony up and buy some R10's. Good Luck.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:49 AM Post #6 of 7
Maybe you should tell us what you didnt like about the denons so we dont recommend another set of cans with the same issues. Maybe look into iem's since you dont want noise leakage or dt770/darth beyers.

Sep 15, 2009 at 3:57 AM Post #7 of 7
Oh no, I like the Denons fine. From what I've read, I just don't think the bump up is worth it – slash – I don't want more of the same.

Yea...I don't like IEMs. I just received a pair of RE0s which I'm wearing right now, and there's just something missing. The reverberations on one's head as with full-sized headphones, perhaps. The lack of the clamp (however light and comfy) of headphones, which I find comforting. Etc.

Was wondering about the Beyerdynamic offerings. That'd be 250 and 770, eh? Don't know anything at all about Beyers. Not all that easy to find in these parts, but I'll likely to getting them from the States. How do they compare to my stuff?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back