Upgrade from Denon C700s? Suggestions?
Oct 28, 2009 at 3:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bashot

100+ Head-Fier
I've been using Denon C700s for a year or so and really like them. I've had to repair the plug 3 times and the driver housing once on each side. They still work fine but are starting to look a bit rough. I'm starting to look for replacements for them and would like some suggestions. Some points you might like to consider:

I don't have much trouble fitting IEMs
I used to love the SE530s but the cable rots too much on me and I will not buy another Shure product due to trouble with getting them fixed
I like bass.
I dont like carrying around an amp.
I dislike microphones and need wo be able to wear the cable over the ear.
Price is less important than value (which starts to decline as price goes up I find)
I am not opposed to buying used.

Can you help me out? If you can compare a suggestion to the C700 I'd love to hear it. Thanks.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:57 AM Post #2 of 8
IE7 or IE8 would be good upgrades.

Oct 28, 2009 at 4:00 PM Post #3 of 8
Hmm. I can find the IE8 from a an authorized reseller in canada for $330 canadian. its out of province for me so its only 5% taxes too....

edit: thats only $30 more than the IE7. weird.

Oct 28, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by bashot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like bass.
I dont like carrying around an amp.
I dislike microphones and need wo be able to wear the cable over the ear.

The IE8, IE7, and IE6 meets those requirements. Got my IE8's from NCIX for $330 CAD plus tax

Oct 29, 2009 at 4:10 AM Post #5 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rip N' Burn /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The IE8, IE7, and IE6 meets those requirements. got my IE8's from NCIX for $330 CAD plus tax

I pulled the trigger quickly and got the IE8s from there as well. It does worry me a bit that you said all three would work since I might have been able to save $200 if the IE6 are just as good. But from what I remember from the Shures, the SE530s were worth the money if they didnt fall apart. Thanks for the encouragement to spend.

Oct 29, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #6 of 8
Hehe, impulse buys. I was going to comment some about what you wanted to improve from the C700, but you already bought something.

The IE8's a nice earphone. Spend a little time burning them in. They're a little constrained out of the box and do need to get loosened up to become a little more articulate and open. The presentation is a bit different from the C700, much larger space, not in your head, less articulation of note and locational cues. The sound is a lot more refined then the C700, but it's a sizeably different listening experience.

Oct 29, 2009 at 7:22 AM Post #7 of 8
I upgraded from C700 to IE8 and it was an upgrade that I felt was worth it even after the honeymoon period.

Oct 29, 2009 at 10:47 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by mvw2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe, impulse buys. I was going to comment some about what you wanted to improve from the C700, but you already bought something.

Impulse, yes. They were $20 off and the sale was ending! But were you going to comment or ask? I find the C700s to be the most 'fun' sounding and engaging IEMs I've heard. This is not always a postitive and can even be distracting sometimes when I'm trying to focus. I liked the signature of the HD600s when I used them a long time ago and think it would work well for me in an IEM. I've heard the IE8s have that. I would improve the build quality of the C700s. They look sturdy as anything and the cable is amazing, but I've never had an IEM fail so often at several points like the C700s. A real warranty would be great, too. I bought the C700s used and dont have warranty options with them. I'd also like the IEMs to fit more flush - the C700s can be annoying to wear with a toque due to their elongated bullet shape. I'd also like to spend roughly the same as I did on the C700s ($100), but thats probably not going to happen.

I'm hoping the IE8s fit this bill but I'm not commited to them. So the thread is probably going to die now that I bought something, but I wouldn't mind hearing other options if you have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back