Upgrade from Denon AH-D5000 [looking at th900, th610, Elear, Shure 1540 +++)
Jun 24, 2017 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

AudioThief

500+ Head-Fier
Hello.

I love my Denon AH-D5000, but I got an itch for something new. I will be keeping my Denon AH-D5000, and I also own a pair of Fidelio X2. I use a Dragonfly Red as a dacamp.

I really enjoy the D5Ks, however if I were to fault them, I would fault them for recessed mids and a bit hot highs. I am looking closely at the Th900 and I am aware that this headphone might have the same issues, but if the overall experience is significantly improved over D5K, I am still interested as I love my D5Ks for what they are.

I have a very eclectic musical taste and listen to most everything. That includes a lot of bass heavy music. The D5Ks does provide a lot of bass, but I might enjoy a tad more. This might be an amp/dac issue as well.

The headphones I am looking at right now are

Focal Elear
Fostex TH900
Fostex TH610
Shure 1840
Sony MDR-Z7

Basically, I can get the Elear and TH900 for around same price used (50$ more for the elear), but if I go for the TH610 I can get those new + use 235$ for a dedicated desktop amplifier with a lot more behind it than my DFR for the same price as the TH900 or Elear, or the Shure 1840/MDR-Z7 + the amp and be well within my budget (about 1000$)

My biggest fear is getting something that is too similar my current headphones and basically be thinking "Why did I buy these?" If I get something similar to the D5K, it needs to be a marked improvement. The improvement part isn't that important if I get something more "balanced".

The cans I am the most confused about is the 610 and the Z7, I am not sure if those are different enough to owning them on top of the D5K or not.

Really all help would be much appreciated.

Jun 24, 2017 at 8:57 PM Post #2 of 2
Hello.

I love my Denon AH-D5000, but I got an itch for something new. I will be keeping my Denon AH-D5000, and I also own a pair of Fidelio X2. I use a Dragonfly Red as a dacamp.

I really enjoy the D5Ks, however if I were to fault them, I would fault them for recessed mids and a bit hot highs. I am looking closely at the Th900 and I am aware that this headphone might have the same issues, but if the overall experience is significantly improved over D5K, I am still interested as I love my D5Ks for what they are.

I have a very eclectic musical taste and listen to most everything. That includes a lot of bass heavy music. The D5Ks does provide a lot of bass, but I might enjoy a tad more. This might be an amp/dac issue as well.

The headphones I am looking at right now are

Focal Elear
Fostex TH900
Fostex TH610
Shure 1840
Sony MDR-Z7

Basically, I can get the Elear and TH900 for around same price used (50$ more for the elear), but if I go for the TH610 I can get those new + use 235$ for a dedicated desktop amplifier with a lot more behind it than my DFR for the same price as the TH900 or Elear, or the Shure 1840/MDR-Z7 + the amp and be well within my budget (about 1000$)

My biggest fear is getting something that is too similar my current headphones and basically be thinking "Why did I buy these?" If I get something similar to the D5K, it needs to be a marked improvement. The improvement part isn't that important if I get something more "balanced".

The cans I am the most confused about is the 610 and the Z7, I am not sure if those are different enough to owning them on top of the D5K or not.

Really all help would be much appreciated.
If I were in your shoes, I would probably go for the Elear. It is absolutely fantastic, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back