Upgrade From Creative Zen
Nov 25, 2008 at 12:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

cmd.olkslc

New Head-Fier
i am currently using creative Zen 8gb as my main source of music....
is it necessary to upgrade to other mp3 player or buy an amp for improvement?? my target would be Ipod Touch , Ipod Classic and Sony NWZ series....i really confused which path should i choose....thx for help!!

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:36 PM Post #3 of 15
It depends on the type of improvement your seeking. For an improvement in sound quality, the Sony NWZ series is far and away the best sounding mp3 player. However, the capacity is limited to 16gb and the features are a bit lacking.
I found that using a portable amp with the Sony did not offer a huge difference, since the sound quality was so amazing to begin with.
Hope this helps!
beerchug.gif

Nov 25, 2008 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It depends on the type of improvement your seeking. For an improvement in sound quality, the Sony NWZ series is far and away the best sounding mp3 player. However, the capacity is limited to 16gb and the features are a bit lacking.
I found that using a portable amp with the Sony did not offer a huge difference, since the sound quality was so amazing to begin with.
Hope this helps!
beerchug.gif

This is true, as pairing my A829 w/my little FiiO made the SQ horrible. Buy itself, through the HP out, it sounds fantastic.

Nov 25, 2008 at 2:02 PM Post #6 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmd.olkslc /img/forum/go_quote.gif
or should i just by a portable amp to improve anything i got in hand??

FWIW, I've really never seen anyone amping a Zen (assuming your using the flash zen that is). If it is the flash based version, I'd opt for another player. I mean, this is me personally, as YMMV.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:11 PM Post #8 of 15
IMO both (Classic & Touch) sound better than the Zen. And, with all the extra goodies, I'd say get the Touch.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:47 PM Post #10 of 15
The iPod is extremely overrated. Although it was not the FIRST mp3 player, it was the first to gain popularity in the mp3 market.
If your interested in capacity, buy a Zune. The Zune has pretty much all the features as the iPod, and is the second best sounding player I've heard.
However, the Sony NWZ series blows the Zune out of the water. IMHO, I would not buy an inferior mp3 player and try to fix its problems with a portable amp. Not only will you be investing more money, but you will have more bulk to deal with.

Nov 25, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #11 of 15
I should mention that I haven't heard the Creative Zen X-fi yet, so perhaps the best method for you would be to go to your local Circuit City or Best Buy and listen to/compare the mp3 players on display. If the Sony NWZ series is not on display, you could buy it, try it out, and return it if your are not thoroughly impressed

Nov 25, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #14 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by boozcool /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For a compromise between sound quality and features, have a look at the Creative Zen X-fi as well

noooo. god no.
X-fi technology is horrific. It might help extremely compressed music, but it destroys the sound of any good source.

I haven't heard the Zen X-fi itself, but if any other Creative products with X-fi on are an indication, the only way to even justify it would be if all the OP's music is at 96kbps or less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back