Upgrade from Creative Aurvana Live?
Mar 29, 2015 at 10:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

dakanao

Headphoneus Supremus
So my CALs broke yesterday, and now I'm looking for an upgrade.

What I want is a bit less and tighter bass than the CALS, a bit more forward midrange and more clarity all around.

Soundstage/imaging/instrument separation has to be atleast on par with the CAL, but preferbly better (but I wouldn't mind if it was the same as the CAL, it does bother me when it's a bit worse though)

Mar 29, 2015 at 12:11 PM Post #8 of 20
I would consider them as an upgrade, they are neutral , if you can get the other 2 headphones that would be the bigger upgrade imo.  you can also consider M50X, but they are a side-grade imo, they have V shaped signature with boosted treble and bass, CAL has a wider soundstage comparing to M50, well...  some prefer M50 over CAL. but not me.. 

If you want a more warmer open back open you can also consider HD558 too.

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:23 PM Post #9 of 20
  I would consider them as an upgrade, they are neutral , if you can get the other 2 headphones that would be the bigger upgrade imo.  you can also consider M50X, but they are a side-grade imo, they have V shaped signature with boosted treble and bass, CAL has a wider soundstage comparing to M50, well...  some prefer M50 over CAL. but not me.. 

If you want a more warmer open back open you can also consider HD558 too.

How do the XPT100 compare to the CALs soundwise? 

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:56 PM Post #10 of 20
XPT100 is the same as Brainwavz HM5, just take the cheaper option, as far as I remember XPT100 had better low and high extension compared to CAL, not muddy as CAL's low end,  while CAL having rolled of treble. Midrange might not be that forward like CAL but far more accurate and neutral.  anyway, I haven't heard both of these headphones in years. I hope my memory is correct  :)

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:04 PM Post #11 of 20
  XPT100 is the same as Brainwavz HM5, just take the cheaper option, as far as I remember XPT100 had better low and high extension compared to CAL, not muddy as CAL's low end,  while CAL having rolled of treble. Midrange might not be that forward like CAL but far more accurate and neutral.  anyway, I haven't heard both of these headphones in years. I hope my memory is correct  :)

I've heard a few people say that the CAL has rolled of treble.

I don't know if creative updated the drivers on the CAL, but I find them the opposite of having rolled of treble. Imo they have VERY well extended treble.

I agree on the bass, the CAL is kinda muddy in the bass, hence why I wanted less bass and tighter bass as well.

I think the CALs midrange is a bit recessed, so if the XPT100 is even MORE recessed, I don't think I'll like them.

Anyway, thank you for your help.

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 20
imo I don't think think XPT100's midrange is recessed , may be midrange might not be forward. If you want a better alternative, spent some extra few $$$ and get MT220 or K550. 

I can also recommend DT150 if you want better mids, lows. they are certainly a flagship killer, more like a closed hd650 imo,   but you must have a decent amp to drive it. 

Mar 29, 2015 at 2:21 PM Post #13 of 20
  imo I don't think think XPT100's midrange is recessed , may be midrange might not be forward. If you want a better alternative, spent some extra few $$$ and get MT220 or K550. 

I can also recommend DT150 if you want better mids, lows. they are certainly a flagship killer, more like a closed hd650 imo,   but you must have a decent amp to drive it. 

What headphone sounds more realistic/natural, the CAL or the XPT100? And which one has the better clarity?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back