Upgrade from Beyerdynamic DT 990 headphones
Dec 29, 2011 at 12:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Xanthos

100+ Head-Fier
Hello community,

My current pair of headphones, Beyerdynamic DT 990s, have finally broken after almost 6 years of constant use. I haven't been on Head-Fi in some time and I'm not sure what's new In the world of headphones, but I'm looking to upgrade. I listen to mostly rock, anything from piano-based, to nineties grunge, to alternative. Open headphones are a must, as I am a quadriplegic and need to hear the outside world without taking them off.

Unfortunately, I have the 32 ohm model with a HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+ as my source. I'm sure this is far from an ideal source for higher impedance headphones. I was thinking perhaps of getting a affordable source first, buying the headphones, and then acquiring a higher quality source later. I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for some of these questions. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Dec 29, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #2 of 10

Quote:
Hello community,
My current pair of headphones, Beyerdynamic DT 990s, have finally broken after almost 6 years of constant use. I haven't been on Head-Fi in some time and I'm not sure what's new In the world of headphones, but I'm looking to upgrade. I listen to mostly rock, anything from piano-based, to nineties grunge, to alternative. Open headphones are a must, as I am a quadriplegic and need to hear the outside world without taking them off.
Unfortunately, I have the 32 ohm model with a HT | OMEGA CLARO Plus+ as my source. I'm sure this is far from an ideal source for higher impedance headphones. I was thinking perhaps of getting a affordable source first, buying the headphones, and then acquiring a higher quality source later. I apologize if this is not the appropriate forum for some of these questions. Any suggestions would be really appreciated. Thank you.

Are the headphones for music only?
do you watch movies on your PC?
Play games?

If all you do is listen to music, then an external headphone amplifier could be plugged into the line out on the Claro Plus+
Something that could power a new DT990 250-Ohm?

Or replace the Claro Plus with an external USB/DAC/headphone amplifier.
(Optical or USB)

Dec 29, 2011 at 11:21 AM Post #3 of 10
I use my headphones for a wide variety of media. They're pretty much on my head when I wake up, until I go to bed. Music, however, is most important. I've seen a wide variety of pretty inexpensive USB solutions, but I wasn't sure if they would be an upgrade to my sound card. Perhaps that question should be asked in the headphone amplification forum, however any experiences would be appreciated. The more important question for this forum is if there was an open headphone upgrade to the DT 990. I know there is the T1, but I wasn't sure if there was something else in the $500-$800 range. Thanks!

Quote:
Are the headphones for music only?
do you watch movies on your PC?
Play games?

If all you do is listen to music, then an external headphone amplifier could be plugged into the line out on the Claro Plus+
Something that could power a new DT990 250-Ohm?

Or replace the Claro Plus with an external USB/DAC/headphone amplifier.
(Optical or USB)

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:04 PM Post #4 of 10

Quote:
I use my headphones for a wide variety of media. They're pretty much on my head when I wake up, until I go to bed. Music, however, is most important. I've seen a wide variety of pretty inexpensive USB solutions, but I wasn't sure if they would be an upgrade to my sound card. Perhaps that question should be asked in the headphone amplification forum, however any experiences would be appreciated. The more important question for this forum is if there was an open headphone upgrade to the DT 990. I know there is the T1, but I wasn't sure if there was something else in the $500-$800 range. Thanks!

The Asus Xonar Essence STX is very much like your CLARO Plus, but the STX comes with a headphone amplifier rated up to 600-Ohms.
The Essence STX does not support 5.1 or 7.1 analog speaker.

The Claro Plus and the STX both use the same audio processor, the C-Media Oxygen HD CMI8788, Asus just renamed theirs to AV100/AV200.

Dec 29, 2011 at 2:32 PM Post #5 of 10
Thank you for your assistance. Does anyone have any thoughts on an upgrade from the DT 990 besides the 600 ohm model? Perhaps something like the HE-500? The only requirement is they need to be open.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:26 PM Post #7 of 10
I have the 990s and love them.  They are colored for sure, but they are colored in a way that is pleasing to me.  However, I am also planning on getting a new set of cans to complement my 990s.  I'm basically 99% sold on the Sennheiser HD600s because they are very flat and true to the source.  You may want to research these a little as well.

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:46 PM Post #8 of 10

Quote:
I have the 990s and love them.  They are colored for sure, but they are colored in a way that is pleasing to me.  However, I am also planning on getting a new set of cans to complement my 990s.  I'm basically 99% sold on the Sennheiser HD600s because they are very flat and true to the source.  You may want to research these a little as well.

Yikes, they seem pretty expensive.  Do the 990s leak a lot of sound? I know they're open, but do they manage to keep most of the sound in?

Dec 29, 2011 at 3:48 PM Post #9 of 10
They let most everything out.  Not for listening in public areas or next to someone else.

Quote:

Yikes, they seem pretty expensive.  Do the 990s leak a lot of sound? I know they're open, but do they manage to keep most of the sound in?

Dec 29, 2011 at 4:45 PM Post #10 of 10
To the best of my knowledge (from what I've read) the Hifiman line, while very good, cannot match the DT-990 for soundstage, which is why I never made the jump myself.  Just kept on trucking with my DT-990/600s.

Quote:
Thank you for your assistance. Does anyone have any thoughts on an upgrade from the DT 990 besides the 600 ohm model? Perhaps something like the HE-500? The only requirement is they need to be open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back