Upgrade from Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro for movies & gaming?
Jan 16, 2024 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

tpac

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for an upgrade to my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pros that excels similarly for both movies and gaming and is ideally, although not necessarily, closed back. Any suggestions?

My favorite things about the DT 770 Pros are the excellent sub-bass extension, excellent bass accuracy, great imaging and overall neutral sound profile. So I'm interested in whether or not there is an upgrade headphone that can compete in all of the areas where the DT 770 Pros are strong while also offering noticeable upgrades in other areas. Essentially something that will give me a boost in at least a few of the areas where the DT 770 Pro doesn't shine - like passive soundstage, treble accuracy etc. without sacrificing too much.

I've owned Sennheiser 6XX and 598 SE too and really enjoy them for some types of music, but the lack of sub-bass really ruins the experience for gaming or content consumption.

I've been eyeing the Audeze Maxwell which look interesting for a pair of closed backs, but reviews indicate the low bass is less accurate and doesn't get down quite as far and both the imaging looks and the passive soundstage actually look worse.

Jan 16, 2024 at 11:01 PM Post #3 of 5
The Beyerdynamic DT900 are a good upgrade. I just got a Hifiman Ananda Nano and it's excellent and worth it if you can get an open box direct from them. Which DT770 do you have? The 250 ohm are a lot more fun with 1 or 2 plies of toilet paper over the driver to take the edge off the treble peak.

Jan 17, 2024 at 5:55 AM Post #4 of 5
The Beyerdynamic DT900 are a good upgrade. I just got a Hifiman Ananda Nano and it's excellent and worth it if you can get an open box direct from them. Which DT770 do you have? The 250 ohm are a lot more fun with 1 or 2 plies of toilet paper over the driver to take the edge off the treble peak.
80 ohm

Apr 18, 2024 at 8:43 PM Post #5 of 5
I have been using my Ananda nano for everything from digital media to music. It's great for everything. I did tone down the treble though as it can be a bit sizzly. There's sub bass and I find it pretty comfy

It likes power. On low gain with my Midgard im between 2 and 4 oclock. on high gain I'm between 10 and 1 on the knob.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back