Upgrade from Beyerdynamic DT-770 Pro 250 Ohm (for piano VSTs / guitar / FLAC-music-listening)
Feb 2, 2021 at 6:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

destaeln

New Head-Fier
Hi Head-Fi!

I found this site after many posts describing how the best headphone experts / audiophiles who can recommend good equipment are here :)
I searched through the board before, but I have a specific use case I couldn't quite find ☝

My current setup is the following:
- Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 Ohm
- Steinberg UR-RT4 (running directlythrough the headphones port, cranked up to about 8/10 due to the 250 ohms)

The reason for my "search" for headphones is that the cable has a loose connection (warranty expired), so I'm looking for an upgrade of sorts - I'm quite happy with the Beyerdynamic, I did a few searches on this board and seems that the beyerdynamic are rather "bass-heavy" from their sound signature, and I think that suits my ears best - as well as the comfort of wearing them; but as a disclaimer: I bought the beyerdynamic online after a suggestion of a friend around 4 years ago, so I didn't actually test other headphones in that price area

As for how I want to use the headphones:
- Listening mostly to older stuff - Beach Boys, Beatles, Johnny Cash, Elvis; from Rockabilly over Rock & Roll to Rock / Pop, mostly 50s to 80s; most of it lossless (FLAC 24bit 96 or 192 kHz if it is accessible)
- Playing my electric piano (VSTs through Cubase) with headphones
- Playing my electric guitar / electric bass with headphones (AC30 directly through a attenuator / software amp simulators)
- closed-back and over-ear (both a must)

My budget is around ~350€ (375-400$?), so I naturally thought about getting the DT1770 Pro (425€ right now), but I found in other posts that the DT1770 and the DT770 don't sound very similiar (what I expected) and I'm also unsure if the beyerdynamic is the "best" headphone right now for what I'm listening / doing...

The more I search, the more I'm getting unsure what to buy :D

So... I know you guys aren't wizards or know magically what I should do, but as you know the sound profile of the beyerdynamic and my usage case, maybe you can push me in the right direction of what route to take from here - buying another DT770? Upgrading to something similiar sounding? Upgrading to something completely else because it fits my use case better?

Thank you all in advance!

Greetings from Germany,

Nico

Feb 3, 2021 at 3:41 AM Post #2 of 3
Soundmagic HP151 closed headphones, like an improved DT770.

Takstar HF 580 planar headphones, with Sendyaudio AVIA ear pads, it's what I'm liking (use everyday).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back