Upgrade from Audio Technica ATH-A700 / Alessandro MS1 -- Suggestions?
Mar 16, 2008 at 12:57 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Zero_99

100+ Head-Fier
So now that I've sold some of my extra headphones, I'm thinking of an upgrade.
smily_headphones1.gif
I wanted to buy some Atrio M5s for my portable but since they're sold out for now, I'm now looking at getting something for home-use instead.

Ideally I would like something to replace my ATH-A700/MS-1 combo setup. Right now I'm using A700's for movies/games, and my MS-1's or ES7's for music. Budget is say: $300 -- lesser the better though. Go-Vibe Petite is the main source.

I'm straying away from any Grado/Alessandro upgrades, as although I love how my MS-1's sound, I don't find them comfortable for extended amounts of time, and find them lackluster in the sound-stage department. But, I'll probably end up keeping the MS-1's around since there's just a certain je ne sais quoi about them. Sennheiser phones are also off my short-list, as the Sennheiser cans I've tried so far weren't my particular cup of tea. I tend to prefer a more aggressive sound, and don't want something too laid back.

Looking for a pair of closed phones that are comfortable, forward sounding and somewhat of an upgrade from my A700s. Right now I'm looking at: Denon AH-D2000, and Ultrasone HFI780. Is there some other AKG/Beyerdynamic/Ultrasone cans I should be considering as well?

Mar 16, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #2 of 7
Depending on your needs, some Beyers would probably be to your liking (770 or 880 or 990); those are all in the $100-$200 range, depending on where you buy them. AKG has plenty of offerings for under $300, also. I liked my K701, when I had them, and my GoVibe 5 powered them alright (would have been better with a nicer amp, though). Again, depending on your needs, you could consider some closed or open ones that could be upgrades for either the A700's or MS-1's.

Mar 18, 2008 at 6:15 AM Post #4 of 7
What kind of music do you listen to? If you listen to a lot of rock and acoustical guitar, I would recommend the HFI780. You also said you like a more forward sound. That is exactly what I was looking forward too in a closed pair of headphones. The D2000's really didn't do it for me. BORING! Way too laid back. However, I have to say the 780 is not for everyone, but I love them as do many others. The one's that don't like them complain about it's forwardness and such, but that is what I love about them. They are the most rockin headphone I have ever heard.
tongue.gif
. Just my own opinion though. The 780 can be had for $199 from RMC Audio shipped. Try it, and if you don't like it, sell it. I got mine modded by warrior05 from S2 Audio to get a better cable and removed the diode board inside. Not very expensive either for the recable (<$80). It may or may not improve anything for you. If you have any more questions just PM me. I always hold back on recommending the 780's, but your likes are exactly what I like (a forward sound), and I couldn't resist recommending them to you.

Mar 18, 2008 at 11:54 AM Post #5 of 7
After more thought ... I'm looking at closed cans solely now. Looking for an upgrade from my A700s. With them I find I don't like the recessed mids, and at times I find the highs a little too harsh, perhaps due to the former point.

I listen to a lot of Hip-Hop (Talib Kweli, Jurassic 5, Lupe Fiasco, K-Os, etc.), Psytrance (Infected Mushroom, Shpongle), and also like pure acoustic guitar stuff. I don't want anything with muddy bass, and I want something to be fast with good prat energy.

Mar 20, 2008 at 10:33 PM Post #7 of 7
Anyone else have any suggestions, or know of the best place to purchase the Ultrasone HFI780s to be shipped to Canada?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back