Upgrade from Audinst HUD MX-1
Jan 16, 2014 at 9:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

FIXXX

New Head-Fier
Hello fellow head-fiers!
Have had the Audinst Hud mx1 desktop dac/amp for 2 years or more so i'm pondering an upgrade.
The essence of my needs is:
- USB-in to connect to the PC/laptop.
- Two RCA-outs to connect the two speakers.
- A headphone out (or two :) ). Just regular jack.
- a switch to jump from from speakers to headphone
All this should have a better power output than the Audinst...
Probably in the range of up to $400 or less.

Jan 16, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #2 of 8
Hello fellow head-fiers!
Have had the Audinst Hud mx1 desktop dac/amp for 2 years or more so i'm pondering an upgrade.
The essence of my needs is:
- USB-in to connect to the PC/laptop.
- Two RCA-outs to connect the two speakers.
- A headphone out (or two :) ). Just regular jack.
- a switch to jump from from speakers to headphone
All this should have a better power output than the Audinst...
Probably in the range of up to $400 or less.

HUD-mx2. :D

Either that, or Audio-GD 15.32/11.32. Personally I love the looks of my mx2, but the Audio-GD has much better specs.

Jan 17, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #3 of 8

HUD-mx2. :D

Either that, or Audio-GD 15.32/11.32. Personally I love the looks of my mx2, but the Audio-GD has much better specs.

I just might do that. 
My issue with the current one is that I am forced to crank up the volume knob to hear more quiet sounds - and when the speakers are involved - It gives me less amplification I can add (Mackie MR5 MK2).
It's amusing that the same company offers it ^^

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #4 of 8
  I just might do that. 
My issue with the current one is that I am forced to crank up the volume knob to hear more quiet sounds - and when the speakers are involved - It gives me less amplification I can add (Mackie MR5 MK2).
It's amusing that the same company offers it ^^

I don't really get this part..?

Jan 17, 2014 at 10:08 PM Post #5 of 8
The source material i often listen to is not always loud. And even with the speakers set to high volume i don't have it loud coming from the audinst. Dunno how to explain it better :frowning2:

Jan 18, 2014 at 1:34 AM Post #6 of 8
The source material i often listen to is not always loud. And even with the speakers set to high volume i don't have it loud coming from the audinst. Dunno how to explain it better
frown.gif

I'm not sure that is the Audinst's fault... Sounds more like a speaker problem. Those have 100W + 50W built in amps.. And unless you're sitting like 10 feet away, your ears should be crying with them turned up. However, what you can do to see if it is the output of the Audinst that is the problem is to simply connect your phone or other music player to the RCA inputs of the Mackies, and if it is louder, then the Audinst is the problem.

I think that you have a misunderstanding though. The RCA outputs has nothing to do with the amplifier, it just outputs a signal and then your speakers amplify it.

Jan 18, 2014 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 8
A small yet significant upgrade would be to swap out the stock opamp with the dual OPA627 which would require the burr-brown adapter since it's not a dual opamp.  I personally went from the HUD-mx1 to the Yulong D100v1 and it simply cannot compare.  I was never really close to satisfied with the level of detail retrieval/amplification provided by the HUD-mx1.  There's the newer mkii with a more popular amplification stage/better implemented high frequency filter and It seems to fit all of your requirements, except maybe the RCA powering more than one speakers?

This is for headphones mainly, do not own any speakers.

Jan 18, 2014 at 7:48 AM Post #8 of 8

I'm not sure that is the Audinst's fault... Sounds more like a speaker problem. Those have 100W + 50W built in amps.. And unless you're sitting like 10 feet away, your ears should be crying with them turned up. However, what you can do to see if it is the output of the Audinst that is the problem is to simply connect your phone or other music player to the RCA inputs of the Mackies, and if it is louder, then the Audinst is the problem.

I think that you have a misunderstanding though. The RCA outputs has nothing to do with the amplifier, it just outputs a signal and then your speakers amplify it.

Don't have a way to connect them. But I will see about finding a way to connect the digital link and see how that does.
PS: One the speakers has an audible his and it's most assuredly from the power supply that comes with the audinst.

Yulong D100v1 
That one looks quite interesting and does have exactly what I need, and more :) Will look into it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back