Upgrade from Athena AS-B1 speakers
Feb 27, 2006 at 10:19 PM Post #16 of 20
Another option to look at if you are bound and determined to stick with a computer as your source is an Outlaw Audio RR2150 receiver.It has a USB input and is suppose to be one of the most advanced stereo receivers ever placed on the market. Do some research.

Feb 28, 2006 at 4:33 AM Post #17 of 20
i think i will be picking up that cambridge azur integrated amp.

however, i've been reading a lot about b & w speakers, particularly the b&w dm601 s3 speaker... very psotive reviews & aesthetically pleasing as well.

any opinion on this match? (btw, i very much appreciate your feedback jrosen)

Feb 28, 2006 at 5:15 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by jrosenth
No - don't get that pioneer.

Why? Have you heard it? The Pioneer A-35R crushed my NAD C320BEE, which is quite a bit more expensive. Don't let the Pioneer badge fool you -- it's a serious piece of kit, from the large transformer to the transistors bolted on separate heat sinks for reduced crosstalk. The MOSFET output transistors are also quite smooth. There are quite a few Head-Fiers who own this unit; search the archives for comments and reviews.

I've heard good things about the Cambridge 540 and would like to hear it, but the street price is nearly double the A-35R's street price.

Feb 28, 2006 at 2:11 PM Post #19 of 20
Indeed I have. And I liked it very much; an especially good deal with the prices now. But I definately preferred the Cambridge Audio unit, which I think at its current price is a screaming deal. I also think that those Energy speakers are a screaming deal. The AA guys will most likely knock a couple bucks off shipping.

For $500, and little trouble, the Energy/Cambridge audio system seems really tough to beat, especially if something is wanted now - also seems to be a good route to get a good sound now and allow upgrading to a feasible system with good value.

If a source is being considered and one wants to purchase the system as a whole, perhaps the Pioneer and the Energy (again, maybe the Onix when they come out, and their budget electronics when they likewise come out) and a budget CD player would be the way to go? If a source isn't being considered, with that budget the Cambridge/Energy route seems an intelligent route.

Just my opinion
icon10.gif

Feb 28, 2006 at 9:57 PM Post #20 of 20
Regarding the speakers, there are quite a few choices - B&W are very respectable and most would not second guess that choice.

Obviously it's best if you can to try and listen to some as well as other brands ebfore buying.

I personally prefer the sonic signature of Energys (Canadian speakers - very good for the dollar, but probably lacking the BMW ethos of the B&Ws) and the C3 at that price are an unbelievable, screaming, crazy deal that IMHO would work great with that Cambridge Audio, and easily recoupable if you need to sell them.

(Also presents the possibility of asking the AA guys to knock off an extra couple of bucks when purchased with the Cambridge amp - note - those guys work on a % of sales and can make attractive offers if they think that you are considering a purchase but not quite certain whether to pull the trigger - I've also had great experiences with their service).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back