Upgrade from ATH-M50s: post-rock, trance, gaming
Dec 23, 2013 at 9:22 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Z Naught

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

I have owned my current pair of ATH-M50s for a few years and have really enjoyed them. They sound fantastic and are quite comfortable after I replaced the cracking pleather pads with velour pads. There aren't any aspects of the sound which have disappointed me, however, I do not have any high quality to reference them to (other than my Monster Turbines, but that is quite a bit different).

From what I have read, the K550s would be a good choice, however, there are a lot of other options out there and I am not sure if they are right for me. Is there anything you all would recommend?

What I am looking for:
  1. <= $300
  2. Good for post-rock, EDM/trance music
  3. Good for gaming
  4. Preferably velour pads (the ATH-M50s pads cracked quite quickly and became uncomfortable)
  5. Preferably closed for sound isolation

I currently have a ASUS Xonar DX sound card on my desktop with no external amp. I am certainly open to getting an amp. On the go, I use my HTC One, however, I am certainly willing to stick with my ATH-M50s for that purpose if the impedance is too high. No need for mobile use, I have the ATH-M50s for that.

Thanks in advance!

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #2 of 10
  I have owned my current pair of ATH-M50s for a few years and have really enjoyed them. They sound fantastic and are quite comfortable after I replaced the cracking pleather pads with velour pads. There aren't any aspects of the sound which have disappointed me, however, I do not have any high quality to reference them to (other than my Monster Turbines, but that is quite a bit different).
From what I have read, the K550s would be a good choice, however, there are a lot of other options out there and I am not sure if they are right for me. Is there anything you all would recommend?
What I am looking for:
  1. <= $300
  2. Good for post-rock, EDM/trance music
  3. Good for gaming
  4. Preferably velour pads (the ATH-M50s pads cracked quite quickly and became uncomfortable)
  5. Preferably closed for sound isolation
I currently have a ASUS Xonar DX sound card on my desktop with no external amp. I am certainly open to getting an amp. On the go, I use my HTC One, however, I am certainly willing to stick with my ATH-M50s for that purpose if the impedance is too high.

Get a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, new $99, plug it into the Xonar DX.

I own and like the AKG K550, not the warmest sounding headphones, but to me there are no negatives to it's audio. You can use them for long periods without your ears feeling "bothered".
eBay is good place to buy used or refurb K550s, HarmanAudio (AKG) sells refurbs with a factory warranty, on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K550-Reference-Class-Hi-Fi-Headphones-Closed-Back-Design-/151193082315?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2333cf59cb

If you like your music with more "life' to the sound, Audio Technica ATH-A900X.
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Audiophile-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B006V386UG

You can get Hifiman Velour ear pads for $10+shipping that fit A900X (with a little work).

The 32-Ohm K550 and 40-Ohm A900X should work plugged directly into the HTC One.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 10
Consider a Beyerdynamic DT 990 premium not pro plus a Fiio Eo7k... One of the best bassy/EDM/hip-hop combos ever.

Scratch that you don't want an open headphone...

If have to go with the V-moda M-100 or the Sennheiser Momentum, I sincerely doubt you would like the peaky treble on the K550/551 after coming from an M50. If you do go that route I would suggest the K551 instead as it has a shorter cable more suitable for portable use.

You can go more bass (m-100) or you can go more relaxed (Momentum) or you can go neutral/slightly treble biased (k551/PSB M4U 1)

Personally I think you should go the bassy route based on your EDM choice.

Dec 23, 2013 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 10
  Get a Schiit Magni headphone amplifier, new $99, plug it into the Xonar DX.

I own and like the AKG K550, not the warmest sounding headphones, but to me there are no negatives to it's audio. You can use them for long periods without your ears feeling "bothered".
eBay is good place to buy used or refurb K550s, HarmanAudio (AKG) sells refurbs with a factory warranty, on eBay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/AKG-K550-Reference-Class-Hi-Fi-Headphones-Closed-Back-Design-/151193082315?pt=US_Headphones&hash=item2333cf59cb

If you like your music with more "life' to the sound, Audio Technica ATH-A900X.
http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-A900X-Audiophile-Closed-Back-Headphones/dp/B006V386UG

You can get Hifiman Velour ear pads for $10+shipping that fit A900X (with a little work).

The 32-Ohm K550 and 40-Ohm A900X should work plugged directly into the HTC One.

Are the ATH-M50s considered warm? How do they compare exactly? 

I would definitely prefer to buy new over used. Considering you have owned both, which did you prefer?

Considering I have the ATH-M50s for my HTC One, would I be better off getting headphones with higher impedance if I have an external amp?

Dec 24, 2013 at 3:23 AM Post #5 of 10
  Are the ATH-M50s considered warm? How do they compare exactly? 

I would definitely prefer to buy new over used. Considering you have owned both, which did you prefer?

Considering I have the ATH-M50s for my HTC One, would I be better off getting headphones with higher impedance if I have an external amp?

ATH-M50s are considered bassy music headphones
The K550 and A900X will have less (full) bass, but beat the ATH-M50 in all other categories.
For music I prefer the A900Xs, more "life' in the audio.

I would say to stick with a headphone with an impedance that your HTC One could drive directly, but get an add-on amplifier to bring out a headphones best.
There are lots of good sounding low impedance headphones, unless your planning on plugging headphones into a receiver, no real need for higher impedance headphones.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:33 PM Post #7 of 10
  ATH-M50s are considered bassy music headphones
The K550 and A900X will have less (full) bass, but beat the ATH-M50 in all other categories.
For music I prefer the A900Xs, more "life' in the audio.

I would say to stick with a headphone with an impedance that your HTC One could drive directly, but get an add-on amplifier to bring out a headphones best.
There are lots of good sounding low impedance headphones, unless your planning on plugging headphones into a receiver, no real need for higher impedance headphones.

Is the Schiit Magni the amp to go with?

I was also considering building my own Amp next semester.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back