Upgrade from ATH-M50 to Sennheiser Momentum, would it be a good upgrade?
Dec 30, 2013 at 12:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

endallchaos

100+ Head-Fier
So, I'm thinking of upgrading from my M50's to some Momentum's, but will it be a significant jump in sound quality? I'm planning on getting the over the ear ones.

Dec 30, 2013 at 1:03 AM Post #2 of 19
From what I heard, they have a better sound quality. However, the sound is more flat and neutral than the bass heavy M50s. Do you have an issue that you want to improve on from the M50s, or were you just looking for better sound quality in general? I'm not sure how comfortable they are, but you will most likely expect a better sound quality, but with a much different balance than the M50s which will give you less bass.

Dec 30, 2013 at 3:58 PM Post #3 of 19
I'm simply looking for an upgrade (I do like my M50's, though). I don't mind if it has less bass, I'm not a basshead. :)

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #4 of 19
Hmmm.  SQ wise, you'll notice the difference if you have a better source/files or don't jut listen to bass heavy genres.  The ATH WS99 has a similar sound but is an upgrade in all areas.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:49 PM Post #5 of 19
Hmmm.  SQ wise, you'll notice the difference if you have a better source/files or don't jut listen to bass heavy genres.  The ATH WS99 has a similar sound but is an upgrade in all areas.

Well... I'm just using my iPod Touch 4th gen with Fiio E11 and most of my music is 320+ AAC, with some ALAC and some 320 MP3 thrown in there. I listen to a lot of different genres, like Hip-Hop, Country, Folk, Rock, Electronic, Classical etc... Can the momentum handle Metal?
and do the WS99 have to much bass?
I'm no Basshead, btw, I don't mind letting some Bass go, for better overall sound.

Dec 30, 2013 at 8:59 PM Post #6 of 19
No your source is perfect.
You'll be the deciding factor here as most is decided by your preference in frequency response.  Oh, and the WS99 doesn't have too much bass.   Around the same as the M50's.

WS99 Sound Sig:
Very dark and very warm.  The mids are pretty neutral, with a tad more warmth and dullness to them then neutral.  The bass is emphasized but very smoothly, and not too overemphasized.   The bass is of much better quality than the M50 for sure.  The timbre of many instruments is also more true to the source than the M50.  The sound stage is also a little larger, and instrument separation is definitely better on the WS99.

The momentum is pretty neutral with a warm tilt.  It pretty much is just as good as the WS99 except for its soundstage and bass tightness.  They isolate a little better too.

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:25 PM Post #9 of 19
No your source is perfect.
You'll be the deciding factor here as most is decided by your preference in frequency response.  Oh, and the WS99 doesn't have too much bass.   Around the same as the M50's.

WS99 Sound Sig:
Very dark and very warm.  The mids are pretty neutral, with a tad more warmth and dullness to them then neutral.  The bass is emphasized but very smoothly, and not too overemphasized.   The bass is of much better quality than the M50 for sure.  The timbre of many instruments is also more true to the source than the M50.  The sound stage is also a little larger, and instrument separation is definitely better on the WS99.

The momentum is pretty neutral with a warm tilt.  It pretty much is just as good as the WS99 except for its soundstage and bass tightness.  They isolate a little better too.

Thanks for the info!! woah, now I really don't know which to choose, since both sound like a good upgrade. Which do you think is more portable?

Dec 30, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #12 of 19
I just received my momentums today by UPS. I got to listen through them at Best Buy the. Other day against others they had in the store for demo. They were the best in my opinions in isolation, sound wise they sounded really good to me and the bass wasn't as hard on my song choices. So, I think they are pretty sweet for what it's worth and the carrying case is cool, stiff and seems to keep them protected very well. I havent put my headphones down all day lol and they are comfortable

Dec 30, 2013 at 10:03 PM Post #13 of 19
I just received my momentums today by UPS. I got to listen through them at Best Buy the. Other day against others they had in the store for demo. They were the best in my opinions in isolation, sound wise they sounded really good to me and the bass wasn't as hard on my song choices. So, I think they are pretty sweet for what it's worth and the carrying case is cool, stiff and seems to keep them protected very well. I havent put my headphones down all day lol and they are comfortable

New headphone day... the best isn't it?!
dt880smile.png

Dec 30, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #15 of 19
The momentum is slightly more portable since it has better isolation and is smaller.  The WS99 isn't large, and it does fold.

I think I'm gonna go for the Momentum!! thanks for the help! :)

yes, the momentums over-ears are a sonic upgrade from the ath-50s & yes, you can notice the difference.

Thank you :)

lol awesome! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back