Upgrade from ATH-A900
Mar 15, 2008 at 9:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

sid311

Head-Fier
I've had these cans for about two years now and really like them. I have modded them with the blu-tak mod with good results, mainly increase in mids and deadening echo. I think my favorite thing about the A900s are there incredibly wide soundstage. I would like to have some opinions on what would be a good upgrade with a similar sound signature.

-sid

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:13 PM Post #3 of 9
Currently either running foobar ASIO>XFi>modded Zhaolu 2.0>Portafile X3>A900s on desktop setup on laptop-foobar ASIO>EMU 0404 usb>A900s. My budget depends right now on a couple of things. I have a pair of shure eE500s that I'm trying to sell along with the Portafile X3, and I will be selling either the Zhaolu or EMU.

-sid

Mar 16, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #4 of 9
Anything, other than grados (actually even grados), that's an upgrade from the A900 will require an amplifier. If you are hooked on closed Ath cans, go for the W5000 straight away, the rest are just not worth it. If not you can try the Grado RS2 [smaller sounstage], AKG K701 [huge soundstage] (seriously needs an amp), Sennheiser HD650 [big soundstage] (needs cable upgrade + amp), Ultrasones (i have no idea which).

Anyway without a specific budget it's really hard to reccomend stuff. For mids you can't go wrong with sennheisers, it's their house sound. However, they need an amp and better cables in order to shine. So, prepare to fork out more money.

Welcome to (posting on) head-fi, sorry about your wallet.

Mar 17, 2008 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 9
Wow, I'd love to get the W5000s, I've read great things about them here. However, at $900+ I think my fiance would probably castrate me. I'm probably looking to spend around $500 on cans alone but I'm not sure that's going to really get me into the hifi world, probably just higher end midfi. I've read that the newer DT990s are somewhat similar to the A900s and easy to drive as well. The question is are they enough of an upgrade to warrant spending money now or save for something later.

-sid

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 9
I've read the AD2000s are a really great pair of headphones. I think I need to stay with something closed though because I don't have a completely quite place to listen. Has anyone heard the ATH-A900ti?

-sid

Apr 1, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #9 of 9
I have not heard them but I remember reading somewhere that they sound different from the regular 900s.

I think that for the price because they are limited editions, they are more for fans and collectors and much better cans can be had for a price around 500$

Users who are viewing this thread

Back