Upgrade from ATH-900 Limited
Mar 9, 2012 at 3:36 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

AFEnlistee

Head-Fier
Hello all. I've been out of the audiophile game for several years now. Roughly about 5 or 6 to be exact. I never had the best stuff, and never will. My setup was and still is a littledot 2++, ATH 900 limiteds, and a creative zen w ran through an early 90's Technics SA-GX490 receiver. I'm thinking of upgrading my amp to the newer Littledot MKIII since I can use my current collection of tubes. However, I have no idea what I can upgrade to for my headphones. I'm looking at the 200-300 dollar range for new headphones. Nothing is wrong with my 900's, but technology has improved so much in the last 5 years that I wonder if there isn't another set of headphones out there that are better. I listen to classic rock, modern rock, and country the most. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Mar 9, 2012 at 3:19 PM Post #2 of 5
Ok... are the DT- 880s or the HD-650s an upgrade over the ath-900 limiteds?

Mar 10, 2012 at 2:14 AM Post #3 of 5

Quote:
Hello all. I've been out of the audiophile game for several years now. Roughly about 5 or 6 to be exact. I never had the best stuff, and never will. My setup was and still is a littledot 2++, ATH 900 limiteds, and a creative zen w ran through an early 90's Technics SA-GX490 receiver. I'm thinking of upgrading my amp to the newer Littledot MKIII since I can use my current collection of tubes. However, I have no idea what I can upgrade to for my headphones. I'm looking at the 200-300 dollar range for new headphones. Nothing is wrong with my 900's, but technology has improved so much in the last 5 years that I wonder if there isn't another set of headphones out there that are better. I listen to classic rock, modern rock, and country the most. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Are the limited ATH-A900 or ATH-AD900?

Mar 12, 2012 at 5:12 AM Post #5 of 5
While not an upgrade, I bought a set of ATH-M50 LTDs since my wife is wanting to join in on the fun. I bought myself a Littledot MKIV to replace my Littledot 2++ as a birthday gift to myself. Plan is to give my littledot 2++ and the M50s to her and use my 900s and MKIV for myself. I figure this would be a good entry level setup for her like it was for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back