Upgrade from AKG K7XX
Aug 27, 2016 at 1:35 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

gus6464

100+ Head-Fier
I am getting the itch to upgrade my AKG's but don't know what's new out there. Basically looking for another open can but they have to be extremely comfy like my AKG K7XX. I work from home so I wear my headphones 8-10 hours a day.

Aug 27, 2016 at 8:35 AM Post #3 of 4
Upgrades are not really simple. The K7XX is a solid headphone. Sure there's headphones with better technical performance but they will be at a much higher price and even then you may not like the tone. A lot is going to depend on your budget. The HD650 for example is more resolving and refined but also carries a warmer, more natural sound signature so you won't have that false sense of clarity like the K7XX. 

What aspect are you looking for an upgrade in? sound signature? The main question is how much do you want to spend? because if you are not willing to pay upwards of 1k you are not going to get an upgrade this hobby is really one big side grade fest regardless of price. 

Aug 27, 2016 at 4:34 PM Post #4 of 4
Upgrades are not really simple. The K7XX is a solid headphone. Sure there's headphones with better technical performance but they will be at a much higher price and even then you may not like the tone. A lot is going to depend on your budget. The HD650 for example is more resolving and refined but also carries a warmer, more natural sound signature so you won't have that false sense of clarity like the K7XX. 

What aspect are you looking for an upgrade in? sound signature? The main question is how much do you want to spend? because if you are not willing to pay upwards of 1k you are not going to get an upgrade this hobby is really one big side grade fest regardless of price. 

Yeah I think that's the problem. I have heard quite a bit of setups and also went to canjam and honestly the only setup there that actually made me feel like I was listening to an actual upgrade over my akg were the Sennheiser hd800 on an enigma athena a1 amp.

Nothing in the past year has truly wowed me like that setup did a year and a half ago. I thought maybe something new has come out in the $500 range or so but I guess not.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back