Upgrade from AKG K181s to ________...?
Oct 6, 2012 at 2:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

strausd

New Head-Fier
Hi, new to the forum here (hope I am posting in the right place). I currently have AKG K181s. Mainly got them for sound quality and bass, and in that sense they seem to work fine. I really like the bass boosters on the side to really help get extra bass out of my music. Unfortunately, comfort is not its strong point and the plastic is starting to crack. I often can't go for longer than an hour without my ears starting to hurt (maybe I have a big head?). This really sucks as I will often spend 5 straight hours at times modeling, rigging, or animating while listening to music.

So right now, I am looking into buying new headphones. Obviously comfort is one of the most important things, behind that is bass, and then I would also like to not spend more than $200, but closer to $150 would be nice :)

I have been looking at Sennheiser a lot lately, as a lot of people have been recommending them. The ones I have seen in my price range are the HD 558, 518, 449, 439, 429, and the HD 380 Pro. 

So I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations? Thanks in advance!

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:09 PM Post #6 of 9
It's been a while since I heard the K181s so take this with a grain of salt. I found the bass on the K181 surprisingly tight and in line with the rest of the spectrum. This is the case for the CAL as well. It's punchy with pretty good extension and good impact. I will say that to my ears there's more sparkle up top on the CAL but without any sibilance. There may be more bass on the K181 however.

Another headphone to keep in mind btw would be the SRH840. Warm, smooth, laid back with good soundstage. The only caveat is the heavy horrible headband. Bad design flaw but could be modded.

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:17 PM Post #7 of 9
It's been a while since I heard the K181s so take this with a grain of salt. I found the bass on the K181 surprisingly tight and in line with the rest of the spectrum. This is the case for the CAL as well. It's punchy with pretty good extension and good impact. I will say that to my ears there's more sparkle up top on the CAL but without any sibilance. There may be more bass on the K181 however.
Another headphone to keep in mind btw would be the SRH840. Warm, smooth, laid back with good soundstage. The only caveat is the heavy horrible headband. Bad design flaw but could be modded.

Well I think that will eliminate the SRH 840 then as comfort is top priority. Also, I've read that too much bass can add to discomfort.

So here are the top ones I am looking at right now that are in my price range:

Creative Aurvana Live
Sennheiser HD 449
Beyer DT770

Some Amazon reviews said the comfort is a little lacking on the CAL as they sit on top of the ear instead of around the ear, much Iike my K181s.
Some people say the bass is lacking on the HD 449.
Many say that the 80 ohm version of the DT770s require an amp and aren't very powerful if plugged in straight to an iPod, iPad, or computer headphone jack.

So my next question is if what was said about the Beyer is true. Also how does the bass on the HD 449 compare to the CAL and K181?

Oct 6, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #8 of 9
Can't help there with the 449 as I haven't heard it.

I will say that the CAL will be much more comfortable than the K181 as they don't have a vice grip or the same weight, the CAL is much lighter. As for the ear cups, mine fit and I would say I have medium sized ears. It could be different in your case however. I do think they sound amazing and very balanced for the price though and even above its price tag.

The DT770 might be a good choice, although I have read the mids are slightly recessed. I would do some more reading up on them. As for driving them, I'm sure a simple fiio e11 would help, though am not sure if it's necessary.

Edit: I have auditioned the 770s once,but a long time ago. What I can say is that the bass will be more than that of the CAL

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:13 PM Post #9 of 9
Can't help there with the 449 as I haven't heard it.
I will say that the CAL will be much more comfortable than the K181 as they don't have a vice grip or the same weight, the CAL is much lighter. As for the ear cups, mine fit and I would say I have medium sized ears. It could be different in your case however. I do think they sound amazing and very balanced for the price though and even above its price tag.
The DT770 might be a good choice, although I have read the mids are slightly recessed. I would do some more reading up on them. As for driving them, I'm sure a simple fiio e11 would help, though am not sure if it's necessary.
Edit: I have auditioned the 770s once,but a long time ago. What I can say is that the bass will be more than that of the CAL

If I would have to buy an amp then I would have to rule out the DT770s.

So it looks like I'm down to the CAL and the Sennheiser. The problem I see with the CALs is that some amazon reviews mention the top head band being uncomfortable. I think at this point I just need to find where stores have these in stock so I can try them out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back