Upgrade from AKG K 450 for home use
Jan 20, 2012 at 12:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Oeufdepoire

Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi'ers,

I currently own a pair of AKG K 450 wich make me quite happy. They're also perfect for portable use.
BUT, as a Head-Fi'er, I can't remain only "happy" with headphones, I want my headphones to take me further than only happy. In addition, I've received some money for Christmas. So, I've (almost) decided to buy new headphones.

By browsing Head-Fi for several months, my choice has narrowed to the Alessandro MS1i's (which are more "versatile" than Grado SR60i's as I read [I don't speak about the SR80i's or higher because they're damn expensive here in France], and are "home-upgradable").

I listen to plenty of genres of music, and I'll soon start to listen to those I don't listen yet. In short, I'll listen to absolutely all genres of music, with a predominance of metal of all genres.
I'm not searching extraordinary soundstage or very specifical things, I just want my music to make me fly (OK, with a ~$120 budget).

So, four questions :

- Is it worth the cost to upgrade from AKG K 450's to MS1i's for home use ?
- Would you advise me to buy other headphones than the MS1i's (I'm thinking about the Brainwavz HM5's) ?
- Would you advise me IEMs, instead of full-sized cans, that would be better than the MS1i's, and still  under $120 ?
- Are the MS1i's "bad" with electro or rap, or is it just that there are better cans for these genres ?

Thank you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back