Upgrade from A900... spend my money!
Feb 6, 2008 at 11:49 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

commando

Headphoneus Supremus
I've recently had to stop using a stereo to play music in my office, so i've switched back to headphones. The stereo's a Panasonic, it cost US$300 and is great. Not audiophile level, but it has a very fun sound, with deep strong bass and good detail.

I'm back to using my A900s, and I'm finding a little to be desired. The main thing is the bass could be lower, and the bass could have a bit more impact. Detail could also be better.

What would you all think I should "upgrade" to? I'm in a room that's reasonably quiet, I have a PC with 4 fans, but it's not too loud. There's no other noise, so i'm definitely interested in open headphones - plus i've never owned any and i'd like to experience some. I like deep, strong bass, detailed highs but not too harsh - the HD280s are a bit harsh until you EQ the bass down. Basically i'd like an A900 with lower, strong bass and better detail. Comfort is important. Budget US$400. My first thoughts are for the HD595, or perhaps some open Beyers.

Source: Chaintech AV710 (I think that's what it is). It sounded the same as the fancy one I had before
Amp: I run direct from the sound card with the A900, but I have a PPA in the cupboard.
Favorite headphones: CD3000, A900, Sony EX71
Music: vocal trance 70%, musicals 10%, pop/rock 20%, misc 10%
Other notes: I have mild tinnitus so I listen to music at low volumes

Opinions welcome
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 6, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 8
Sounds like you should get an AD900 if you like the A900 sound but want lower bass.

Feb 7, 2008 at 4:27 AM Post #4 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by johnanderson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like you should get an AD900 if you like the A900 sound but want lower bass.

They have less bass but they also sound completely different. More detail less impact.

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:06 AM Post #6 of 8
I know the 990 is said to have some really sibilant highs. Maybe you could get some Senn HD650's? I think they might be a good match for you.

Feb 8, 2008 at 9:14 AM Post #8 of 8
Warrior05 has the 600 ohm dt990's, he might be able to comment on the highs.

I personally love my ultrasone 2500's. However without a lot of burn-in time, the highs are a little grating. You can remedy this with a tad bit of EQ, or by playing a pink noise through them a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back