Upgrade from a Cowon D2
Jun 15, 2015 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

vampire666

100+ Head-Fier
Hi there!
Some years ago I lost my music player companion: the Cowon D2 which I enjoyed very much.
I still haven't replaced it with a new player, but the wait is over since now I have some money to spend.

Do any of you know a player witch would be considered an upgrade from the D2 or at least something similar? I very much liked the sound of the Cowon (after some tweaking with it's effects and EQ).
I was wondering if I should just buy a smart-phone (something like a Xiaomi, Zoppo, Jiayu, Elephone, ecc, ecc) and use that in conjunction with a COZOY Astrapi or Fiio E17k or E18.
I was also looking at the FiiO X3 but there's just something that doesn't convince me, I don't know what, maybe the control wheel (always hated ipod's wheel controls), maybe it's interface...I don't know.

Any suggestions?
Thank you

Jun 15, 2015 at 6:34 PM Post #2 of 4
The Fiio players have only around 11 hours or so of battery life. The main reason I would ever consider buying a Cowon player is for the very long battery life.some of them have. The Cowon M2 is listed as having up to 90 hours of battery life, and has a card slot. It is $162. If it was under $100 I would have probably bought it. I like using Rockboxed Sandisk Clip+ and Clip Zip as they are tiny, inexpensive, sound very nice, and have a card slot. The downside to them is only around 15 hours of battery life. Aside from the price, I also don't like the semi-proprietary connector Cowon uses(I'm told it is a standard in Korea). Then there is the Cowon Plenue P1 at $900 and up. Imo way too expensive! The Plenue also gets less than 9 hours of battery life!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084424-REG/cowon_m2_32bl_m2_mp3_player_32gb.html

Jun 16, 2015 at 1:37 PM Post #3 of 4
Thank you very much for the reply!

I wasn't aware of the Cowon M2 but that looks just like a new version of the Cowon D2...which is at the same time a bad and good thing.
The bad is that it still have outdated resistive screen, low resolution  screen, somewhat bulky, I immagine it inherits the file limit, the good is the increadible battery life and it's sound quality (love BBE).

The plenue is well beyond my budjet.

Any other suggestions?

Jun 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 4
Many of the new players are like the fiio X1 or even more expensive versions of it, with from 9 to 11 hours of battery life. There is the Cowon X9 with 110 hour battery life!
it is around $165(white) or $180(black) . I think it might be discontinued, but still seems to be available.Then there are some players with 32GB but no card slot like the Cowon Iaudio 9+ for around $133 which has only around 29 hours of battery life. sony has a player with a card slot and around 50 hour battery life for MP3, however it is around $300 and has 64GB built in.

http://www.amazon.com/COWON-X9-MP3-FM-player/dp/B00963DPUY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1434480393&sr=8-4&keywords=Cowon
http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Walkman-NWZA17SLV-Hi-Res-Digital/dp/B00OCJRX8C/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1434480838&sr=8-5&keywords=Sony+mp3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back