Upgrade from a 5th Gen iPod (Video)
Dec 8, 2011 at 8:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

slidesear

100+ Head-Fier
Please help me pick a DAP.

Criteria:

1. Better SQ than an iPod Video (via LOD) (in terms of DAC quality)
  2. Rockbox"able" or having the ability to play FLAC
  3. At least 64GB (Flash memory preferred) 
  4. Physically not larger than the iPod Video
  5. ~$200 budget

and

6. Ability to output audio at line/nominal-level via standard jack.

or

7. Ability to  amplify than the FiiO E11 (Looking for something that will produce little to no hiss on my TF10's)

Thanks in advance for any input!

Hopefully my criteria doesn't make any of you think I am in fantasy land.

Dec 11, 2011 at 12:52 PM Post #4 of 8
Can't get 64GB for $200 that's for sure. DarkAudit is right, the ipod 5th gen does have the best sound of all the apple players. Why do you need an upgrade? If you need more storage you can just replace the harddrive or the battery for that matter. I am thinking of switching back the gen 5 ipod.

Dec 12, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #5 of 8
I just wanted to get something new since the iPod has a few years on it. But upgrading it sounds like a better idea.

Dec 12, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
I just wanted to get something new since the iPod has a few years on it. But upgrading it sounds like a better idea.

I thought I needed a new one a few months ago as well.
I have a 5.5 with a 240G drive in it.
I got a new touch 4th gen 64G.
I still find myself still using the 5.5 about 75% of the time. More storage and smart play lists that actually work right trump the new one for the moment.
Sound quality wise, the LOD on the two seems to be so close that I think it would be imposable for me to tell the difference in a blind test.
Headphone out is definitely better on the 4g touch.

Dec 28, 2011 at 7:09 PM Post #7 of 8
Good call!

I now want to 64GB Compact Flash diyMod my 5tth Gen. I want the caps inside so I can continue using my low profile LOD. Anyone in here care to do it for me? I will pay of course.

Thanks

Dec 31, 2011 at 12:54 PM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
DarkAudit is right, the ipod 5th gen does have the best sound of all the apple players. Why do you need an upgrade? If you need more storage you can just replace the harddrive or the battery for that matter. I am thinking of switching back the gen 5 ipod.

Is the ipod Video 5G that good?
blink.gif

Hdd and display of my 60gb ipod video 5G broke a couple of weeks ago, so I would like to replace the ipod with a new player or smartphone. My impression is, that even a cheap Clip+/Zip has a better audio quality than a rockboxed 5G Video. Could not do an A/B-test, but from my memory, the sound of the ipod via headphone jack is less clear and energetic, also the soundstage is smaller.

The opinions about the sq of the ipod video seem to be mixed:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/269142/ipod-classic-sound-quality-worse-than-5g-true-or-false

Users who are viewing this thread

Back