Upgrade from 325is to rs1?
Jan 7, 2010 at 2:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

St3ve

100+ Head-Fier
Hello everyone,
The urge to upgrade has struck. Basically, i have happened across a fairly good deal on some ex-demo RS1s (non-i jobs). I am currently running apogee duet > Little dot I+ > Sr325is and really enjoy it. However, there is a naughty part of me that, loving my grados as i do, can't help thinking that the grass may be greener in the reference series. On the other hand i have read some people saying that 325is are really not far off the rs1s in which case it might not be worthwhile to upgrade.

Thoughts from any grado lovers? anyone made a similar decision or have experience with both?

P.S there is a third option - Save up for a while and get some rs1i (worth it?)

Many thanks,
Steve

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:05 PM Post #2 of 11
The SR325i is a great headphone, with a slightly different sound signature from the RS1. RS1 series is slightly warmer, smoother sounding, little fuller bass. Very musical but less 'clean' than the SR325i. I think it's a step up, but mostly in looks and feel: it's much lighter on the head and thus more comfortable. If you can get it at a good price, do so. You won't take a big loss if it does not live up to your expectations and won't feel bad for not taking the deal, normally used RS1's go for about $500/550.
(I had the RS1i version, should not be too different).

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:10 PM Post #3 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR325i is a great headphone, with a slightly different sound signature from the RS1. RS1 series is slightly warmer, smoother sounding, little fuller bass. Very musical but less 'clean' than the SR325i. I think it's a step up, but mostly in looks and feel: it's much lighter on the head and thus more comfortable. If you can get it at a good price, do so. You won't take a big loss if it does not live up to your expectations and won't feel bad for not taking the deal, normal used RS1's go for about $500/550.

Thanks for your thoughts paaj. The 325is are great headphones, and the detail you get from them is quite astonishing (not something i would want to lose). However, a slightly warmer and bassy sound would be great. If the rs1 kick out that kind of detail but with a warmer sound then i really think i would be set
happy_face1.gif

Thanks again.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:14 PM Post #4 of 11
Quote:

If the rs1 kick out that kind of detail but with a warmer sound then i really think i would be set

Then you have to try them. Can you visit your future RS1's? Always best to listen for yourself in these expensive matters.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM Post #5 of 11
Wish i could audition them but, unfortunately, they are the other side of the UK. This would be an online purchase (try finding Grado dealers in rural britain haha). Unfortunately, i will have to sell my 325is to fund any upgrade so there will certainly be a degree of risk involved - this is why head-fi is such an awesome resource.

Jan 7, 2010 at 3:51 PM Post #6 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hello everyone,
The urge to upgrade has struck. Basically, i have happened across a fairly good deal on some ex-demo RS1s (non-i jobs). I am currently running apogee duet > Little dot I+ > Sr325is and really enjoy it. However, there is a naughty part of me that, loving my grados as i do, can't help thinking that the grass may be greener in the reference series. On the other hand i have read some people saying that 325is are really not far off the rs1s in which case it might not be worthwhile to upgrade.

Thoughts from any grado lovers? anyone made a similar decision or have experience with both?

P.S there is a third option - Save up for a while and get some rs1i (worth it?)

Many thanks,
Steve

Having owned both and really disliking the SR325is headphones (too shrilly and hot treble and really heavy and uncomfortable) and absolutely loving my RS1s (1 year and still going strong), I would not hesitate on the RS1s. They are, in my opinion, the best cans that Grado makes and that includes the GS1000/PS1000s that for me ventured too far from that exciting Grado attack that I just love with rock music.

The bass is deeper and better, the mids more clear and the treble refined without making the hairs on the back of your neck stand up (like the SR325is'). They are extremely light and very comfortable.

Jan 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by St3ve /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks MacedonianHero, That is something i have observed - people seem to hang on to RS1s long term, which can say a lot about a can in this hobby. Are yours RS1 or RS1is?

They are the buttonless RS1s (release immediately prior to the RS1is). I have heard both and really couldn't tell a difference...I would simply go on price between these two if I were you.

Jan 8, 2010 at 5:30 AM Post #9 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by paaj /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SR325i is a great headphone, with a slightly different sound signature from the RS1. RS1 series is slightly warmer, smoother sounding, little fuller bass. Very musical but less 'clean' than the SR325i. I think it's a step up, but mostly in looks and feel: it's much lighter on the head and thus more comfortable. If you can get it at a good price, do so. You won't take a big loss if it does not live up to your expectations and won't feel bad for not taking the deal, normally used RS1's go for about $500/550.

I agree with this 100%, applied to the SR325is vs RS1i. I chose not to keep the latter, but it was a very difficult cost/benefit analysis combined with a judgment call re the slight differences in sound signatures.

Jan 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM Post #11 of 11
Thanks for the comments everyone, I found a nice pair of rs1i that i pulled the trigger on last night. Gonna spend a couple of days with my 325is + rs1i and drum up some impressions before i sell the 325is (a sad day - i can now see why people end up with 5-10+ headphones, they are difficult to have to let go of).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back