Upgrade for X-Fi Titanium HD?
Apr 13, 2012 at 10:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

pkryder

New Head-Fier
I currently have a  X-Fi Titanium HD

http://asia.creative.com/products/product.asp?category=1&subcategory=874&product=19749

Feeding a Temple Audio Bantam Gold

http://www.templeaudio.net/bantamgold.html

and powering a pair of Audio Engine P4s

http://audioengineusa.com/Store/Audioengine-P4

I bought this setup a while ago to replace my onboard sound which was coupled with a budget Sony amp and speaker setup. I was blown away by the improvement in sound quality with this setup every sound was suddenly crystal clear and my music came to life. The soundcard was the last addition to my setup and I was somewhat underwhelmed by the improvement it made whilst the amp and speakers are clearly streets ahead of my old setup the soundcard seemed to make very little if any noticeable difference.

I have never really considered myself an audiophile but having spent a few months with my new setup I feel like I have been missing out on quality sound for years and wonder what further improvement I could make by replacing the soundcard perhaps with a USB DAC? I'm tempted by the Audioengine D1 or the cheaper uDac2. My budget would likely be up to £200 would I likely hear any noticeable improvement by doing this or is my current setup well matched already or would my money be better spent elsewhere? I already have good quality QED interconnects and speaker cable.

Apr 13, 2012 at 10:24 AM Post #2 of 9
If the sound card did not make a noticeable difference compared to the onboard DAC, then it is likely because the onboard is already close to being "good enough" for a speaker setup, and replacing the sound card would not be an improvement in practice either. In fact, the uDac2 could easily be worse than the Titanium HD (which has a very good DAC, by the way).

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Can this be said about the ASUS STX card too?

Quote:
If the sound card did not make a noticeable difference compared to the onboard DAC, then it is likely because the onboard is already close to being "good enough" for a speaker setup, and replacing the sound card would not be an improvement in practice either. In fact, the uDac2 could easily be worse than the Titanium HD (which has a very good DAC, by the way).

Apr 13, 2012 at 2:55 PM Post #4 of 9

Quote:
Can this be said about the ASUS STX card too?

The Asus Xonar Essence STX and Titanium HD are really matched for DACs and op-amps, technically the Titanium HD has a very slightly better DAC (1793 vs.1794).

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #5 of 9
Where can I find the list of op amps I'm able to use for the STX by the way?
I find the default op amps a little too congested with my IEMs.

Quote:
The Asus Xonar Essence STX and Titanium HD are really matched for DACs and op-amps, technically the Titanium HD has a very slightly better DAC (1793 vs.1794).

Apr 13, 2012 at 3:45 PM Post #6 of 9

Quote:
Where can I find the list of op amps I'm able to use for the STX by the way?
I find the default op amps a little too congested with my IEMs.

"The Xonar Essence STX Q/A Tweaking and Impression Thread"
'The Op-amp Thread"

I swapped out the stock op-amps on my STX, for three LME49860NA, now three AD797BRs.

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:37 PM Post #7 of 9
The ST and STX use TI BB's PCM1792A (not 1793) which should have the same performance as the PCM1794 according to specs. 

Quote:

Apr 13, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #8 of 9

Quote:
The ST and STX use TI BB's PCM1792A (not 1793) which should have the same performance as the PCM1794 according to specs. 

Oops.

Apr 13, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #9 of 9
Quote:

Also, the DAC (and any other) chip used does not by itself guarantee a particular level of performance, the details of the implementation (PCB layout, etc.) are important. Nevertheless, both cards should be fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back