Upgrade for gaming headphones
Dec 2, 2009 at 12:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

The Hotspur

New Head-Fier
Hi all, first time poster.
I currently use an astro mixamp with turtle beach hpx for gaming on my 360. i also have my bluray deck connected to the mixamp. i am happy with this set up but want better headphones for gaming and movies, and music direct from my iphone.
the headphones i have in mind are HD595, 650 (although i feel i wouldn't be getting the most out of these with my set up from what i have read), DT880(i can't get the 2005 edition here in UK), AD900, AKG601. Budget as you can guess is around £200 max.
any thoughts appreciated

Dec 2, 2009 at 1:50 PM Post #2 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hotspur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all, first time poster.
I currently use an astro mixamp with turtle beach hpx for gaming on my 360. i also have my bluray deck connected to the mixamp. i am happy with this set up but want better headphones for gaming and movies, and music direct from my iphone.
the headphones i have in mind are HD595, 650 (although i feel i wouldn't be getting the most out of these with my set up from what i have read), DT880(i can't get the 2005 edition here in UK), AD900, AKG601. Budget as you can guess is around £200 max.
any thoughts appreciated

The DT880s are great for gaming and work extremely well with the mixamp better than the AD900s IMO, they are readily availible in the Uk try iheadphones or Hifi Headphones they only stock 2005s. most uk stock are 2005s they just dont say so in the description.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:08 PM Post #4 of 14
Those are the DT880 Pro, which are unfortunately a fair bit worse (and cheaper) than the standard DT880s.

AKG K701/Senn HD650 are both going to underperform with that amp, and are mediocre for gaming anyways (pretty good but if that's your main focus not worth the price). My favorite all time gaming headphones are the 2005 DT880s.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:10 PM Post #5 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Those are the DT880 Pro, which are unfortunately a fair bit worse (and cheaper) than the standard DT880s.

AKG K701/Senn HD650 are both going to underperform with that amp, and are mediocre for gaming anyways (pretty good but if that's your main focus not worth the price). My favorite all time gaming headphones are the 2005 DT880s.

HD 800's are awesome for gaming!
smile_phones.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:14 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by J Dub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
HD 800's are awesome for gaming!
smile_phones.gif

And $1500, not to mention the other $3000 worth of equipment to run them properly :p

There are better headphones than HD800 for gaming as well, Stax and HE90 for example.

Dec 2, 2009 at 4:17 PM Post #7 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Necrolic /img/forum/go_quote.gif

One set is the pro's the other is not. if i can't get the 2005's, what would be my best bet with the mixamp?

Dec 2, 2009 at 6:32 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Massive79 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess if you go unamp you can just go with HD595 or HD600.
If you're going to go to that kind of headphones you should considered an amp to maximized the performance, because I'm not sure whether the output from your 360 will be good enough to bring those headphones up to their max capability.

Is the mixamp not good enough?

Dec 2, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

DT880(i can't get the 2005 edition here in UK)

Might be worth getting in touch with these guys and seeing if they are getting in anymore stock of the DT880's. Chemical Ltd | Buy Beyer Dynamic - Beyer Dynamic - Beyer Dynamic DT 880 High End Headphones - 2005 [250 Ohm] - Headphones at Chemical Ltd

Mine came yesterday and they are the premium ones, not the pro's.

Same are alot more expensive from Amazon - Beyerdynamic DT 880 Premium Edition Hifi Headphone: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Good luck and good hunting!
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 2, 2009 at 8:10 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Thanks for the link DannagE, i think i've decided on these, just need them to come in stock now!

Soon as I ordered mine they went out of stock on the site.

You could click on 'want it' and put in your email address, I would ring them up though and just ask them if they have them in stock. Stops you waiting forever and getting disapointed.

Dan

Dec 3, 2009 at 12:14 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Thanks martb, i like the look of the DT880.
i can only find these products on the sites you mentioned

Beyerdynamic DT880 | SALE Now On!

Beyerdynamic DT880 PRO Semi-Open Headphones 250Ω (DT 880) HiFi Headphones

are either of these the 2005? why does everyone say the 2005's are the best?
thanks for your help

If you give HiFheadphones a call they will get you the premium and not the pro edition if you ask ,plus they were the same price £195. They are really good to talk to and very knowledgable I had mine from there. They work perfect with the mixamp you wont need another seperate amp for gaming.

These BEYERDYNAMIC DT-880 EDITION 2005 - U.K. International Cyberstore are also vey good and reputable, they come from Germany but you also get a 3yr warranty.

Dec 3, 2009 at 5:14 PM Post #14 of 14
Quote:

One set is the pro's the other is not. if i can't get the 2005's, what would be my best bet with the mixamp?

You want to get the DT880 Premium, so if you can't get that, I'd go for ATH-A(D)900, because like I said K701/HD650 shouldn't be used with a cheap amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back