Upgrade for CAL(Creative Aurvana Live) over-ear/closed headphones
Jun 5, 2022 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Expansion

Head-Fier
Hi guys,

I'm looking for an upgrade of CAL(Creative Aurvana Live!) headphones. The budget is from as low as 100$ up to 400$(if it's really an amazing gem, highly doubt such thing even exists nowadays when they want to charge you 4000-6000$ for some top-spec headphones, so I'd rather stick to the 100-200$ range.)

I'm interested in an over-ear/closed pair of headphones that sounds, if possible, even more fun and engaging than these CAL's.
If it doesn't need extra amplification, then it is even better.

What I enjoy about the CAL's: the midrange sounds pretty good to my ear, close to you, wide sound(not a tiny distant sound like other headphones), also the bass is present and punchy/dynamic/round(similar to Dynaudio speakers signature), feels very engaging. Some people say that the highs on these headphones are not right, that they are too thin and they mess up with the original audio too much, i can understand their point of view, but it's better like this than being too bright and annoying.

I also have a pair of Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250ohm, to which I've done the napkin mod. Although they are by far the most robust built headphones I've ever put my hands on, they do not sound engaging to my ears:
- bass is dull, no enough punch, not enough roundness
- midrange also sounds a bit distant, doesn't feel like it surrounds you(in your face!) as the CAL's do.(sometimes, on some songs their sound signature makes me think of listening to an old radio)
- highs, probably everyone already knows that they are too bright on these headphones, and even with the napkin mod, they still are too present and annoying on many songs.

Any opinions about the options I have?

PS: I wish there was some company that would put proper drivers in these Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro headphones, because I adore the way they are built and how the pads feel(they keep a lot of air/space around your ears).

Last edited:
Jun 5, 2022 at 3:37 PM Post #2 of 2
Both the TR-X00 Mahogany and Denon D5200 are fun with great low end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back