Upgrade ety 6i's to er4's?
Jan 23, 2008 at 9:32 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

shirleywhite

100+ Head-Fier
Hi friends! Would appreciate any advice/comments on a possible upgrade from 6is to er4s - main differences? is it really worth it?etc.

Brief background - my sources are Sony hd5,Nano (and some old minidiscs) - but all line out into amps (Headsix or GoVibe V7). The amps mean that the 6is have nice bass now - but still with that lovely Ety top end ( clear,clean, fast response etc) The other huge factor for me is that the fit and in/out is perfect(for me) - I use the grey Ety double flanges) I also have some superfi 5pros - sure the bass is bigger, overall sound warmer etc but - I miss the "clarity" of the 6is - and like some others find the fit a bit big/awkward - even having done the "flipside" mod with the cables! I use the superfis when going minimalist with only a Sony 818 and phones only.But tend to miss my 6is.

So - main question. I'm pretty happy with my amped setup using 6is. Would I be all that much happier with er4s??!! At approx £80/100 more - am I getting £100+ value etc?? Couple of things - all the pictures I've seen seem to show the er4s as bigger - sort of longer with a "tail" where the cable attaches?? Most pics show a triple flange on them - i'd be looking to put my smaller double greys on? One or two posters have mentioned er4s cracking/breaking? Is this an issue?

I know that a lot of headphone questions are so very much a "personal" thing - but if anyone has trod this particular upgrade path before - i'd be keen to hear your views. Thanks!

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:08 PM Post #2 of 6
I've had both at the same time.

Ergonomics/useability: I found ER6i much better for use "on the go", at the gym etc. It's a very easy and comfy fit and you can wear them discretely. ER4P's stick out farther and microphonics are much worse if you are moving around. There is a shirt clip but I still find them worse ergonomically than the 6i's.

Sound: The ER4P's are definitely a little better. Basically the same sound but a little cleaner. I consider ER6i's about 85-90% SQ of what ER4P is however ER4P's would would widen that margin a little more with a decent amp.

If these are back up IEM's I would tend to stay with 6i's. If you are really looking for an upgrade and you can swing it, the Triple Fi Pro's can be had for about $100 more than the ER4P's. Very good bang for the buck.

Jan 23, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks Spyro - good advice + info!! My worry re Triplefis would be the "fit" / comfort?! It's a real shame that iems arent readily available to try/test/wear for a while so that individuals can (literally)get a feel for what they are like!

Again,thanks for the feedback.

Jan 23, 2008 at 5:09 PM Post #4 of 6
It took me a while to figure out the UE fit, particularly making the wires work for you. I now find them extremely comfortable. I like how it is NOT a deep insertion and they are so quick and easy to pop in and out as opposed to dealing with foamies. The only problem I have with the UE fit is if I have to wrap up the cords/IEM's for on the go, the memory wire can change where you had it and you have to futz with it again. But I mainly use my TFP's at home only.

Jan 23, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #5 of 6
I own ER6(not ER6i, and I've never heard them). I also own ER4P and use a P to S cable. I use the ER6 for sleep only. When I lift weights I use my iAudio 7 and ER4P and I notice very little microphonics...maybe I'm just used to it but it never draws my attention although I do route the cable under my shirt which helps.

I think the extra expense is easily worth it for an upgrade to ER4P(the S is even better). I approximate the difference more like- ER6 is 70% of ER4P.

I own some popular headphones under $300 an my ER4P(to S) remain my reference when testing.
etysmile.gif

Jan 23, 2008 at 11:04 PM Post #6 of 6
has anyone compare the ety isolation with other IEM? I am using ER6 right now and thinking of upgrading. I like the isolation of ER6 and wondering if I should stick with ety or try different universal IEM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back