Upgrade Cambridge Audio DACMagic
Apr 4, 2013 at 7:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

auee

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking to purchase a USB DAC that is a substantial upgrade to my Cambridge Audio DACMagic when playing CD quality music files, 16/44.1, at a price of no more than $1,500.00 but preferably less.  What I mean by substantial upgrade is that after the DAC is broken in I will easily be able to hear how much better my music collection sounds. I want pace and speed, full and very well controlled bass, resolution that conveys the drama of music, silky smooth yet crisp and resolute highs without hardness, etc. I want near the best that recorded music can offer. I am looking to get a DAC that I will be happy with for years; I do not favor a revolving door of equipment. 

In addition to sound quality, I have certain prejudices or criteria, but not in order of importance. First, USB input must be asynchorous and capable of handling up to 24-bit/192kHz just in case I decide to download such files in the future. Second, it must have a quality internal power supply and no wall wart; I do not want to have to add an external power supply when a quality internal one should have been accounted for in designing and manufacturing the component. Third, I do not need and do not ever expect to play DSD files. Fourth, it must display the sample rate. Fifth, I use a Mac so it should work without the need to download a driver. Sixth, it does not have to have balanced outputs. Seventh, I would prefer that it  not have a headphone output, volume control or preamp functionality; I do not want to pay for features that I do not need. 

I realize that I will need to hear for myself but your expertise is needed to narrow my choices. I hope I am not being unreasonable. If I am, I expect to be called out for it. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back