Upgrade AV710? Just bought K710 and amp
Nov 23, 2008 at 5:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

blue_lammer

100+ Head-Fier
Edit: Skip to post four already upgraded headphones and amp

I've been doing some research about my next and I'm unsure of what to get next. My current setup is: AV-710 --> PA2V2 --> AD700 Although everything is sounding good to me right although I haven't experienced much better. There is no hiss on my system.

I like listening to a lot of classical, hip hop and rock. I don't mind the subdued bass on the AD700 as it's fine with me. I'm a big fan of the large soundstage and detailed clarity.

My question is whether I should upgrade my source, my headphones or amp for the most bang for my buck. At most 300 dollars preferably less around 250. I have been looking at the Zero DAC as a source upgrade because I heard having an external source will be miles apart from what I'm listening to now. I'm not sure how much better it would be compared to getting another set of headphones or getting a dedicated desktop amp like the Little Dot 2. Is my current source good enough to just get another amp or headphone?

Nov 23, 2008 at 6:49 AM Post #2 of 18
I would go with a headphone amplifier first, the AV-710 is amazing (you might look at modding it while you're upgrading, check around on head-fi and the 'web in general for mod ideas)

you could get a USB D/A + amp unit for around $300, which is probably going to be the common suggestion (again, for some reason, this board has a fear of anything that goes IN the computer or even touching your hardware, and will argue "case noise" to the death, consider that if the inside of the computer case was really as "noisy" as they say it is, a lot of things would fail or work improperly)

it isn't a particularly bad idea to go with the USB DAC/amp unit, its clean, and neat, and will be a nice upgrade, however personally I'd look at modding the AV-710 and get a nice free-standing amp (oh yeah, while we're at talking about noise....DAC + amp in the same box...*cough*)

I take it you like tubes? in which case, I'm of no help in picking an amp (I'm partial to SS, although I know Little Dot, Darkvoice, and Woo are all quite popular around these parts)

Nov 23, 2008 at 8:31 AM Post #3 of 18
AV-710 has a great DAC. So that's not your weak point here. It's in your amp and headphone. Personally, I would probably up the headphones to an AKG701 (that's my next step from the AD700). Then get a better amp after that. Your DAC is solid and usable for a while.

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:23 AM Post #4 of 18
Reviving a dead thread :p I just purchased a K701 and an amp and I'm loving it so far. I feel I can get more out of it though.

Should I upgrade my source? I plan to continue to use my AV710 as a crappy surround sound card. I just the need the best card with a RCA output. I'm probably getting a Prodigy card. I think from what I read that my source is my bottleneck.

Will this be worth it or should I save up for an even better amp to drive my K701s? Head-fi gurus please help me spend my money!

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #5 of 18
There are two cards from ASUS with RCA jacks. The HDAV 1.3 base model or deluxe (depedning on if you want surround or stereo). Meant for HDMI but has very good analog sound quality.

The Xonar Essence STX which has been talked about around here and is aimed squarley at headphones as it has a headphone amplifier.. etc but it also has RCA outputs and both cards offer fully replacable opamps for tuning to your liking. The Essence STX is also a wicked soundcard for analog sound quality.

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:37 PM Post #6 of 18
Another option is to go offboard dac and remove you dac from the electrical storm and psu dependence of a pci slot. This may improve your SQ $ for $.

The big question is cost. How much are you willing to spend?

What kind of sound do you like?

What amp do you have?

All biggies answer those and we'll empty your wallet =).

Dave

Dec 12, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #8 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Actually, both cards I mentioned are sheilded from EMI/RFI -if your concerned and have power taps straight from the PSU. Through a molex connector.

Unfortunately the card is still dependent upon the PSU power even through a molex. And how well shielded do you believe the card is even call it 100%, it seems like at the same pricepoint (which I was unable to find) one could get a better performing offboard dac where they put the money into the dac or analog stage.

just my opinion.

Dave

Dec 12, 2008 at 2:23 PM Post #9 of 18
Just depends on what you after. Both cards offer excellent specifications, features, overall soundquality and while DAC's have their place they are essentially useless for some but they may be what the OP is after.
The OP, was asking for suggestions so I gave him a couple.
While the card is still using the PSU, your point was with soundcards the power is running through all the traces on the board with both of these cards it is not. Your other point was internal electrical noise. Again, with both of these cards the "effects" of which are cut considerably. You are having trouble finding pricepoints because the HDAV 1.3 is only avilable in certain locations for now and the Essence hasn't been released yet at all.

Dec 12, 2008 at 3:49 PM Post #10 of 18
Hi everyone, to answer some questions my current amplifier is the Little Dot II++

I just took a look at the ASUS offerings, those cards are well over 200 dollars falling in line with the Onkyo products. I would rather not spend over 150 dollars because I would just get a Zero DAC at that price. They do look and probably sound amazing although they aren't in my limited budget.

I have been considering the ESI Juli@ and the Prodigy HD2 favouring the HD2 more because of the op amp upgrade and cheaper price. From my research the K701 are hard to drive, requiring a good amp. I thought I would get an "okay" amp for now and upgrade my source which is what people were mentioning. However, I have heard statements that the AV-710 is "an amazing DAC" and I was just wondering if I should throw that money instead into a better amp such as the Shanling PH100, Heed CanAmp? Which provides better fidelity?

Edit: AV-710 mods?? I know that can be done on a budget and improve the SQ by a significant amount. AV710 mod and new amp best solution??

Dec 12, 2008 at 11:22 PM Post #11 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by blue_lammer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi everyone, to answer some questions my current amplifier is the Little Dot II++

I just took a look at the ASUS offerings, those cards are well over 200 dollars falling in line with the Onkyo products. I would rather not spend over 150 dollars because I would just get a Zero DAC at that price. They do look and probably sound amazing although they aren't in my limited budget.

I have been considering the ESI Juli@ and the Prodigy HD2 favouring the HD2 more because of the op amp upgrade and cheaper price. From my research the K701 are hard to drive, requiring a good amp. I thought I would get an "okay" amp for now and upgrade my source which is what people were mentioning. However, I have heard statements that the AV-710 is "an amazing DAC" and I was just wondering if I should throw that money instead into a better amp such as the Shanling PH100, Heed CanAmp? Which provides better fidelity?

Edit: AV-710 mods?? I know that can be done on a budget and improve the SQ by a significant amount. AV710 mod and new amp best solution??

I do not know much about the AV-710 but I know when I upgraded the dac in my 701 chain it did have great benefits. I also know that when I upgraded the amp in my chain it brought a nice benefit also. I guess it depends on how much of an upgrade it is to the amp or dac. You will find those who preach source first and the opposing camp saying amp first. My opinion is if you believe the av-710 to be a good dac, than go for an amp. I have heard many great reviews of the shanling + 701 combo so that is a very viable route IMO.

Maybe someone who has heard all this gear can help you out more.

Dave

Dec 13, 2008 at 12:48 AM Post #12 of 18
blue_lammer: When you get a new rig will you sell me your AV-710? If you use the Wolfson DAC on the rear channel outputs and change a few parts (they cost as much as the card) you get a sweet sound up to 96kHz and 24 bits.

Dec 13, 2008 at 1:42 AM Post #13 of 18
To be perfectly honest, I doubt any well-designed sound cards will gain any noticeable benefit(s) from an EMI shield. IMO, when it comes to audio performance, it is more important for a sound card to have a well designed decoupling and power supply layout. For example, the Lynx Two is the best sound card I've ever heard, and it doesn't have an EMI shield. If the Essence really is head and shoulders above the rest, it'd have more to do with its superior design/components than the shielding.

One more thing to consider though, with an EMI shield, you lose the ability to use discrete OP-AMPs.

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #14 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by jenneth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One more thing to consider though, with an EMI shield, you lose the ability to use discrete OP-AMPs.

That is incorrect in this case. Both the HDAV 1.3 and the Essence STX have EMI sheilding and discrete replacable opamps. The sheilds can be removed to change out the opamps and then replaced.

Dec 13, 2008 at 2:29 AM Post #15 of 18
Quote:

Originally Posted by ROBSCIX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That is incorrect in this case. Both the HDAV 1.3 and the Essence STX have EMI sheilding and discrete replacable opamps. The sheilds can be removed to change out the opamps and then replaced.

I didn't mean the IC-OPAMP, this is what I meant:

OPA HDAM

Guess I should've made that more clear heh.

EDIT: Burson Opamp is another.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back