Upgrade amplifier for K612 or stick with E10K
Jul 13, 2015 at 1:58 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

Trickster5596

Head-Fier
I have been using a Fiio E10K to power my AKG K612 Pros for a while now and just cannot decide if they have enough amping or not. Would it be worth it for me to save up for a Schiit Magni 2 or should I stick with my current setup? If I am getting 90% of the detail out of this setup I really don't want to spend $$ for the extra 10%. If I do go with the upgrade, I will still be using the Fiio as a DAC. Also, would it be better for me to use the Coaxial or Line Out when connecting the two?

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:30 AM Post #2 of 20
Are you running the E10K at or near maximum perceived volume? In other words, so loud that it doesn't get much (if any) louder if you turn it up more? If so, the dynamic peaks in music may be distorting or be squashed because the E10K lacks headroom for your listening volume. Then an amp could help, and you would hook it up to the line out.

Jul 13, 2015 at 10:41 AM Post #3 of 20
I agree with cel4145. Your listening levels play a very important role here.
Fiio E10K is very clear and transparent, Magni 2 is not far better in that respect.

Are you using your Fiio in low gain or high gain mode?

Where's the volume pot normally?

Jul 13, 2015 at 1:50 PM Post #5 of 20
Normally, your computer volume would be at or near 100%, and then adjust the volume on the E10K. If you do that, what is your volume on the E10K?

Jul 13, 2015 at 3:12 PM Post #9 of 20
With computer volume at max, it's at high gain and around 2

Leave everything at max on your computer as cel4145 suggested and control the levels only from E10K's volume pot, that's the right way of using your E10K in order to obtain maximum sound quality.

Would be better changing to Low Gain Mode: better volume control and even higher fidelity.

Jul 13, 2015 at 5:20 PM Post #10 of 20
  I have been using a Fiio E10K to power my AKG K612 Pros for a while now and just cannot decide if they have enough amping or not. Would it be worth it for me to save up for a Schiit Magni 2 or should I stick with my current setup? If I am getting 90% of the detail out of this setup I really don't want to spend $$ for the extra 10%. If I do go with the upgrade, I will still be using the Fiio as a DAC. Also, would it be better for me to use the Coaxial or Line Out when connecting the two?

It might be better to sell off the K612 Pro and put all your audio budget for new headphones.
(Nothing against the K612K)
Maybe Philips Fidelio X2?

Jul 13, 2015 at 6:31 PM Post #11 of 20
I have no interest in replacing these headphones. If the fiio is really all the amplification I need, then my question has been answered. I was just wondering if it had enough power, not just volume.

Jul 13, 2015 at 7:49 PM Post #12 of 20
I have no interest in replacing these headphones. If the fiio is really all the amplification I need, then my question has been answered. I was just wondering if it had enough power, not just volume.

You don't. Forget about the Magni and the O2. Both sound like sandpaper. Your least expensive quality option is a used Matrix M-Stage from the forum classifieds. Good luck.

Jul 13, 2015 at 8:00 PM Post #13 of 20
I have no interest in replacing these headphones. If the FiiO is really all the amplification I need, then my question has been answered. I was just wondering if it had enough power, not just volume.

You could try a low costing tube amplifier ($60-$130), off eBay, plug it into the E10K's line-output.
Tube might open up the K7XX a little, over the E10K's solid state amp.
Just an idea.

Jul 13, 2015 at 9:34 PM Post #15 of 20
I am looking for analytical sound, I don't care if analytical means "not ear-pleasing". Also, I'd like to stay away from tubes.

None of the amps I mentioned have tubes. For a more analytical sound without a whole lot of grain, you'll have to spend more. A Meier Audio Jazz comes to mind immediately, but I'm afraid it may be out of your budget. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back