upgrade amp or headphones?
Feb 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

LjF

New Head-Fier
I've been using my current headphone/amp setup for about 6 years now. After recently upgrading my DAC and interconnects, I now have upgrade fever.

I'm considering a new amp, possibly the Yamamoto, or new headphones, possibly the HD800.

I welcome your opinions.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:38 PM Post #2 of 5
I would recommend getting the new amplifier, assuming you know for sure that it is better than the one you currently have.

I'm more a fan of amps than speakers/headphones, and feel you should only improve speakers when there are limitations to your current speakers (mostly enclosures that are too small, or drivers that are too small). The higher up the chain you are with your speakers/headphones, the more critical the supporting gear is, IMO.

Another thing is that you already seem satisfied with the sonic signature of your HD600s, so changing for another headphone is riskier than improving the amp.

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #3 of 5
i would also improve my amp section. seems like you're the fan of tube. look for a SET tube amp with impedance switch for low and high impedance headphone. common example would be wooaudio wa6 or better still wa6 se. Having this amp should improve your hd600. Then you are ready for better or different headphone

Feb 15, 2010 at 8:56 PM Post #4 of 5
I also recommend an amp upgrade.
Lots of choices depending on your budget.
A nice amp could make your HPs come alive.

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:00 PM Post #5 of 5
The greatest bang for you buck will be to upgrade your source and your amp.

If you've got the "new" HD600's... and you like their sound... you're just not going to see dramatic improvements by upgrading your phones - you certainly won't see a proportionate improvement in the sound. Few phones are any better with a good source and amp.

Get a good CDP or DAC, and something like the WA6 Maxed or WA6 SE Maxed, or even the Millett MiniMax. I think you'll be far happier with the money invested. And... you don't have to spend a lot to get a good source, or even a good amp.

As always... GIGO...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back