Upgrade Advice
May 6, 2019 at 4:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Ericforman

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone,
I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 58X hooked up to a Sennheiser GSX1200 on my computer. I play a lot of video games with music playing in the background, listen to music on its own a bit(usually rap or pop), and watch YouTube videos occasionally. I want to upgrade to something less gamer focused. I have been looking at Schiit products mostly because of the asthetics and bang for the buck. I've been searching for a Jotunheim with dac or an Asgard and Modi. Do you think that would be a good upgrade, overkill, or am I wasting my time with Schiit? If you think I'm wasting my time, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!

EDIT: Ended up getting an Asgard 2 and a Bifrost

Last edited:
May 6, 2019 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 9
Have not heard the GSX1200 but either one of the rigs you describe would certainly allow you to get a lot out of those nice headphones. I like the multibit version of the Modi, personally. Good luck.

May 6, 2019 at 6:17 PM Post #3 of 9
I think overkill is underrated. If that is the only headphone you will ever have then I think you will be just fine with what you have but I do like the Jot quite a bit.

May 6, 2019 at 10:39 PM Post #4 of 9
I do agree that overkill isn't a bad thing unless it's to an extreme. I know the HD 58X is easy to drive and I'll be keeping them for a long time but that doesn't mean I won't make any additions in the future. I am interested in planar magnetic and know those can be difficult to drive. As for the dac, if I can find a good deal on the Asgard, I would consider the modi multibit. I would need to do some more research on multibit though before biting the bullet

May 7, 2019 at 12:45 AM Post #5 of 9
Hey everyone,
I currently have a pair of Sennheiser HD 58X hooked up to a Sennheiser GSX1200 on my computer. I play a lot of video games with music playing in the background, listen to music on its own a bit(usually rap or pop), and watch YouTube videos occasionally. I want to upgrade to something less gamer focused. I have been looking at Schiit products mostly because of the asthetics and bang for the buck. I've been searching for a Jotunheim with dac or an Asgard and Modi. Do you think that would be a good upgrade, overkill, or am I wasting my time with Schiit? If you think I'm wasting my time, suggestions are appreciated. Thanks!
I would suggest to just leave the GSX1200 in stereo (2.0) mode (not 7.1 surround sound).
I use the program Foobar2000 (w/WASAPi) for play my music files.
(and I'm assuming you set your games to stereo (2.0) mode)
The GSX1200 supports up to 24-bit/96K, which to me is more then good enough, for most people.
So far I've not been able to find out what DAC chip(s) are inside it.

I myself use a Audio-GD NFB-11.28 DAC/amp.
but have ordered a Topping DX7s, to try my HD58X with a balanced HP jack.

Or maybe you should try a tube head amp, with the HD58X and just use the DAC function of the GSX1200. So connect the GSX1200's line-output, with a line-input on the tube amp.

Last edited:
May 7, 2019 at 12:46 AM Post #6 of 9
I have the hd58x as well, it's pretty easy to drive in fact it might be easier to drive than my 32ohm Superlux 668b I have to test them out on a few more devices to confirm. But even on my Audioengine D3 the hd58x is driven to a higher volume at the same settings.

I'm not convinced you will see much of an improvement with a new dac/amp as this isn't a area that will net a big improvement especially if your setup is already capable of properly driving it.

There is a lot of subjective reviews on here on schiit audio but I like balancing it out with objective tests so take a look at audiosciencereview as well. From there you can probably form a good overall picture, and this goes with any product.

For me I decided on the hd58x over the hd6xx for three reasons I thought I like the sound signature more and to ensure I can easily drive them. The last one is I have Sonarworks True-fi and the $60 saved will be put towards a custom profile for these to fine tune them for a more neutral sound. I decided that will be a more worthwhile upgrade than what any amp/dac will most likely give me. I bring this up just to point out there are software upgrades, eq, and other routes to go than just the conventional amp/dac to upgrade your headphones.

Last edited:
May 16, 2019 at 12:32 PM Post #8 of 9
I have the 58x and schiit stack as part of my stuff and they sound great together. The 58x are easier to drive than my elex are strangely enough. A buddy of mine uses the modi/asgard with his 58x and says it brings out more low end on them than the magni. I'd also recommend looking into setting up Equalizer APO with the P.E.A.C.E interface and applying Oratory's curve for the 58x. It's all free and much better individual control than the $60 truefi and does a very good job of reigning in the 58x where it needs it. If you need help finding that info pm me and I'll help you out.

May 16, 2019 at 1:34 PM Post #9 of 9
I have the 58x and schiit stack as part of my stuff and they sound great together. The 58x are easier to drive than my elex are strangely enough. A buddy of mine uses the modi/asgard with his 58x and says it brings out more low end on them than the magni. I'd also recommend looking into setting up Equalizer APO with the P.E.A.C.E interface and applying Oratory's curve for the 58x. It's all free and much better individual control than the $60 truefi and does a very good job of reigning in the 58x where it needs it. If you need help finding that info pm me and I'll help you out.
I just got all that set up and I do like the sound of it. A bit hard to compare to with it off due to the -5.7 pre amp but so far I am enjoying it. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back