Upgrade advice wanted
Mar 5, 2004 at 6:18 AM Post #16 of 21
Good point, just kinda stood out in my mind considering it was a pretty blatent statement against the TAH. Despite this, the price is the same for both, right?

Mar 5, 2004 at 6:42 AM Post #17 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by ReDVsion
Despite this, the price is the same for both, right?

I believe so. The TAH is $200 while the Porta is $205.

Mar 5, 2004 at 9:58 PM Post #18 of 21
This is great, I think I'm finally getting somewhere
smily_headphones1.gif

I think Ticky is right about the Bithead. I think I'll just go the TAH for now. If I need a sound card upgrade later, well so be it.

ReDVsion got me thinking about other headphones more suited to the style of music I favour...

Just out of interest, what does everyone think about the new Senns, maybe the HD555, compared to the AKG K40S for electronic music?

Mar 6, 2004 at 3:55 AM Post #19 of 21
I wouldn't get any system that plugs into a USB port.

And I also wouldn't want any system whereby I would have to constantly plug and unlug on the back of the computer.

Mar 6, 2004 at 4:19 AM Post #20 of 21
I just did a bit of a job trying to get better audio from my PC, so this might help you.

I got closed phones, AKG 271s, which are fantastic. Running them through the headphone out of my PC, they sound great, despite the sound card being a standard on-board AC97 card on an IBM Netvista. Having spent far too much of my time here I though "ah ha, I can make that sound better".

I got myself an m-audio sonica theatre and a PIMETA, and sourced a power supply locally. After a good deal of waiting, with great anticipation I plugged them in and set them up and.... there was no difference. $300 worth of equipment, and it sounds the same.

I'm not sure if there's something wrong with my system, or maybe my PCs AC97 sound was great to begin with. My main point is that unless your PC sound is sub-standard you could be wasting your money. You might be better off going for better quality headphones than going for the whole source/amp solution.

There are a few problems with the bithead/total bithead at the moment, but HeadRoom are working to fix them, and will replace the existing units. Built in crossfeed is a bonus too. This is consistent with their reputation for providing good products and great service. The early reports are that they sound great. If I had to upgrade my PC sound again, i'd definitely wait for the new revision and get one of those instead. With the 30 day right of return, you've nothing to lose.

Mar 8, 2004 at 11:42 AM Post #21 of 21
Thanks commando that really helps.

I've decided to just get a set of good (>$200) headphones, and if I need a new source or amp, get that later down the track.

This thread is obsolete, will probably start another one with the new criteria.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back